My Kitten Needs Surgery - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

My Kitten Needs Surgery

Ever since I have had Tess, my long haired kitten, she has had a small knot on her right shoulder. The vets has been keeping an eye on it and they told me last Saturday that they need to go in and remove it. I actually thought it was something that was stuck in her and was trying work its way out on its own. It almost looks like a zit that needs to be popped.

At first they thought it was a fiberous reaction to her shots because it was so small. Now it has grown and its long in nature, almost to her bone area they said. They believe it is a fiberous tumor and they want to test it for cancer.

The vet, which is strictly a Kitty Doctor, in fact that is what it is called, has told me that it maybe a pretty long incision area since they do not know actually how long this tumor is.

I am so worried about her. Tess is only 9 months old and panics when she is alone. They asked me to bring her in the night before, which will be Wednesday to help me out and give her a chance to calm down. Her surgery is scheduled for Thursday am. I will be able to bring her home Thursday evening.

I just hate the thought of her being alone Wednesday night without her sister and brother. She crys when she can't find them in the house.

Sorry to vent like this but I have noticed that everyone here is such a great support to everyone.

I am just sick to think of what the outcome of the tests will be. I so hope its not cancerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Surely your vet won't mind if you bring something from home that will have a comforting scent for Tess. Is there any way you could stay there with her until the vet closes the clinic? Why does she have to be there Wed. night? Are they going to do some sort of preparation for the surgery that night?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Cat Addict

aww poor baby! sending hugs and prayers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, that's a shame. Poor baby -- I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Yes, definitely bring a comfort object from home if you have one, like a blanket or something else that smells like home or the other cats.

Please keep us posted on how she does. And good luck to you -- worrying is no fun.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Tom Cat

I have read that Honeysuckle is supposed to be a calming scent for animals. You might want to give it a try. You can also give them before and after Rescue Remedy (check with the vet) which is a flower based stress reliever which is made for us but can be used for animals if you cut the dose in half. Kind of expensive though. Good luck.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Eyes Woman
Surely your vet won't mind if you bring something from home that will have a comforting scent for Tess. Is there any way you could stay there with her until the vet closes the clinic? Why does she have to be there Wed. night? Are they going to do some sort of preparation for the surgery that night?
Oh no the vet does not mind. They cater to kitties. They told me to bring her blanket and what will make her more comfortable. I would be bringing her in when the vet is closed.

My vet thought that since her surgery is first thing in the morning and I work so far away from where I live and the vets is that they would give her a place to stay for the night. So its not so stressful for her in the morning or for me.

Plus she can't eat anything after a certain time. With having 3 other ones in the house they did not want me to have to confine her in the house or pick up the food for the others who like to eat late.

I am sure she will be ok, I just hate thinking about it and how she is going to feel.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and wishes. I will keep you all posted to how she is doing.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
My vet thought that since her surgery is first thing in the morning and I work so far away from where I live and the vets is that they would give her a place to stay for the night.
Ohhh, I see. Well, give her something from home so she will not feel as scared and make sure you are not feeling sad or scared when you take her to the clinic. Cats and dogs can tell when you are sad and afraid, and their fear will feed off of yours. Keep an upbeat feeling, talk to her like normal and assure her you will be back for her. She (and you) will do fine.

I really think going through a separation like this and then being taken home again will make her fear less should you have to board her another time. She won't forget you coming back for her.

Good luck! I hope everything turns out all right with her lump!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Cool Cat

No worries, we all love our babies! Remember that she will probably get along better than you will through this!

I would suggest taking a blanket that she sleeps on so her scent is on it. she will settle down and sleep the night away and the surgery day will go quick and then you will be loving on her like normal! Just make sure you label the blanket so it doesn't get thrown in with their regular laundry.

I hope it all turns out well! Thoughts and prayers heading her (and your) way!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Well I just heard from the vet. Tess came through surgery with flying colors. She has an incision that is 4 inches long. The mass was down into her shoulder area close to the bone. They were able to remove everything and are sending it out to a lab to be tested.

They told me she is awake in her kennel, eyes as wide as they can be. They said she is very comfortable and can come home between 4-7:30 tonight.

I am sure her brother and sister will be checking her out all night. They were looking all over for her last night.

Thanks to all of you for your support. It means alot to have friends like you that can be there when you need them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:02 PM

Awesome!
So glad to hear she's awake and fine. I hope the tests come back fine, too.
When you take her home, give her a little kiss on the head and tell her it's from me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page