nasal discharge and constant sneezing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

nasal discharge and constant sneezing

I bought my cat from an adoption agency around 5 months ago. When we bought it, the owner said that he has allergies in the winter. Well, he has been sneezing ever since I've had him, and I do not know what to do. I have visited a vet, and they said that most likely he has (URI) upper respitory infection, and that there was nothing that they could do.

I guess you guys would know more than I do, but I dont believe that what the vet said is completely true. Yes, there is a chance my cat might have a virus, and yes that's not able to be cured, but cant they atleast administer antibiotics to suppress the sneezing, and limit the congestion?

My walls, my windows, and the windowblinds all have nasal discharge everywhere, and it is not a clear white color. it's more of a yellow, and I have been told that is unhealthy.

Can I get some suggestions or ideas of what I should do? I want Vincent to live a better life...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Tom Cat

There are two common meds that are given to cats that have uri. They are Clavamox and Baytril. They are essentially both the same but some cats will respond to one but not the other. No way of knowing until it is given to the cat. I think you have to get it from your vet because it has to be prescribed. From working at a shelter I used to pop pills like crazy. One important thing is to make sure that your cat is eating and staying well hydrated. If your cat is not eating much or drinking try to feed him wet food until it passes. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Cool Cat

Try a different Vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

In reply to Chris10, thankfully he still enjoys his food, and loves drinking his water.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:32 AM

Wow! Five months seems like an awful long time. When we got Wallace from the shelter he came home sick too....those awful sneezes and green boogers on the window thing, not to mention he was terribly sick for a week. He was able to get over it completely in just a few short weeks though. Antibiotics would only work for certain infections though. I guess I would try talking to your vet again and if they aren't willing to work with you and if not, then I would change vets. Another thought for you, could it be allergies? Allergies can often turn into sinus problems which could lead to colored discharge too. Marcellus was congested (although not that severe) for several months and we discovered that his litter was the problem. Once we changed the litter the problems almost all went away. Incidently, the litter was a pine litter which supposedly is supposed to help allergies. Guess he's allergic to pine. Some animals are allergic to dust and certain foods just as we are. There seems to be a lot of possibilities. Hopefully your vet will help you sort through and work with you. Good luck to you. That's not easy for your cat or you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page