diagnosed with diabetes (update page 2) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

diagnosed with diabetes (update page 2)

Hello,

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes today. I am very upset, considering he has an underlying issue with struvite crystals. He was put on Humulin twice a day and the vet also changed his diet from preventive formula from the vets, to a diabetic diet. I am scared that he will block up on the new food.I am scared we won't be able to regulate his insulin. I am just scared and sad. I watched him being born 11 years ago, and he has been with me since. Has anyone had any success with diabetes? The vet stated that with diet and if we can regulate his insulin there is a chance he could be off the insulin in about 6-8 months. Has anyone ever been charged 138.00 for comp profile with cbc bloodwork? I am not going to complain. I just want my little guy feel better.

Could anyone give me some insight as to the outcome? good or bad. I want to do what is best for him. Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 PM

I am sorry about all this stressful situation you are going through right now. My thoughts are with you.
Actually, Annissa - a member and moderator of our forum has had success with treating her gorgeous kitty - Sabby. He is now diabetes free after Annissa's following close Dr. Jean's instructions. First you start with feeding ONLY canned food. She has not only switched to canned but also upgraded it at the same time. I think it is Wellness that she is currently feeding.
Your kitty having the struvites I am not sure if Welness is the appropriate type of food though.
Here is more insight on this matter from Dr.Jean's own site:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... etesbasics

Check also the article on UTI. Scroll down to it from here:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Cat Addict

sending hugs, head butts and prayers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the insight.The vet said he could still have a bit of the preventive....pretty close to each other for fat, protein, etc. I know this guy really well. I noticed about a week ago he was drinking excessively and having huge pees. Huge red flag so i watched him for 5 days and off to the vet. The vet never suggested urine testing strips or moniters, should i approach her on this subject. She wants to see him in about 2-3 weeks for all day bloodwork. I forgot the name she told me....something curve. It was good to see that it is not a death sentence....which was what i was thinking. I have no problems giving the injections. As an ex military medic it came in handy lol. Taught my hubby how to do it tonight on an orange.Even let the kids try on the orange. It has been 5 hours since i gave him his first injection. Would it be weird to say he seems a little perkier?

I am going to let my other cat eat the diabetic formula as well. Thank you again, It is nice to know that there are caring supportive people out there. i am not sure my hubby was getting this though. For him growing up, if your animal got sick you took it to the woods and well you know. There were no vets around and a dog was a dog and a cat was a cat. I think i have turned him around. As he didn't quibble about the cost. He knows how much my four legged children mean to me and our children.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:17 AM

You are welcome - and we know exactly how you feel about the four legged children.
Do keep us posted.
If Annissa comes around I will direct her to your post. She's had a baby recently (two legged ) and doesn't post as often. She will be happy to help with advice from her successful experience
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

dmcwlvssr, thank you
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I second what Ioana has posted regarding wet food, it's not only beneficial to the diabetes, but should also prevent future crystal blockages, provided you find a high quality canned food that your vet agrees would be apropriate.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

The cat food i got is from the vet. It is a diabetic formula, it is 24 and change for a case of 24 small cans. It is really close in the break down of fat and protein etc. to the preventive formula from the vet. So i am hoping against all hope that he doesn't block up. He has been on the dry preventive formula for 7 years now with the occasional can of wet preventive as a treat lol, now i think he is in kitty heaven with getting wet. He was a little dehydrated so the moisture will do him good. He is a character...... he will eat anything he can get in his mouth including cheques, plastic bags(his favorite) paper money, toilet paper. I warn people ONCE.When they come in the house that you either turn your shoes upside down or put em in the closet.....i won't be held responsible for buying new shoelaces.lol Hubby used to get so mad when he was getting ready to go for a run with his unit, only to realize the cat ate the shoelace. I warned him over and over.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:35 PM

Hi!
Korbel has been diabetic since April 2000, so almost 6 years now.
It is most certainly a very treatable condition, NOT a death sentence.
I couldn't agree more about the canned food. Canned food is healthier for cats in general, but when you have a diabetic cat it is especially important to watch the amount of carbs they get.
I'd highly recommend www.felinediabetes.com
They have lots of info plus a messageboard strictly about taking care of diabetic cats.

Jennifer
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Update on my boy Teddy, He seems to be adjusting really well. He loves the wet food and is getting about 1 small can a day. He is taking the needles so well. Last night he didnt even look up from his food, didn't flinch ,nothing. I have noticed he is perkier. My hubby gave him his needle last night yeahhhhh.(didn't think he would do it ,but did awesome) I also have noticed that he is peeing less. I think this is a good thing, they are back to being normal, as for dehydration .....his skin is going back in place almost immediately. I truly wasn't expecting results this quick as it has only been 2 days. I am SO HAPPY. I know there is going to be ups and downs.

Thank you to everyone who passed on well wishes and the websites ,they are great reading.

Trix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page