what are the signs of a bladder/UTI infection, - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

what are the signs of a bladder/UTI infection,

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm, I've been noticing that my cat hasn't been lying flat on it's belly lately... he kind of lays on "his legs". It's almost as if his tummy or bladder area is hurting him, but I don't know...

wondering what the signs of a bladder or UTI infections are??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:37 PM

The signs of an UTI are : several trips to the potty box, as in very frequent ones, lots of straining while in there; there are only small amounts of pee coming out and sometimes with blood in it. Some cats feel pain while doing this, if their urethra is blocked, and will associate that(the pain) with the litter box and refuse to go and pee there; actually they will pee anywhere but there.
I am not sure about the laying down on the tummy.
But I can advise you to continue and pay attention to any other change(s) in behaviour and the look of things overall concerning your kitty : is she eating and drinking as she usually does, how often does she go to the potty, how does the poop and urine look like, what is her body language, etc.
I hope there is nothing too serious - but keep being vigilant about these changes and take action soon, if you feel there is no progress. UTI can be a very serious threat to a kittys' life if left untreated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

thank you ioana... I guess he is not showing any of the signs you stated. I also googled it, and it doesn't look like he's showing those symptoms either.

I was just curious because he like to pee in my bathroom sink!!!, but he has done this since I got him. He likes to poo in my tub too!! I think the cat needs it's own bathroom! Thank gawd I have two bathrooms or I'd be going crazy. I think he just likes the cold porclean of the bathtub and sink maybe, but I'll keep an eye on him.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 PM

I am relieved that it doesn't look like something serious.
You're welcome and keep us posted
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioana
I am relieved that it doesn't look like something serious.
You're welcome and keep us posted
thanks I know all about serious Last year my 10.5yo Jazzy came down with hepatic lipidosis. I lost her on May 11th, it was horrible.

Then I want to the shelter and found this monster, LOL!! He is a monster too, LOL!! He has always had this weird bathroom issue with his peeing and pooing, I just hope it stays in the bathroom seeing his is not even 2yo yet, he's got a long life ahead of him... and a long life of bathroom issues for me!!

... but yes, I will keep an eye out for him, thanks!! He is the most wonderful cat, and such a great replacement for Jazzy. He sleeps with me every night and even rests his head on my shoulder and puts his arm around my neck, LOL!!, he is such a nut, but I love him so

So thanks for responding. I want him to be healthy, as healthy as I can help him be
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Funny, I was just browsing through the posts here and saw your response to tiger..? member that had problems with her kitty not eating after the infection occured. I read about your Jazzy and I cannot imagine how painful that must have been. You have been strong, and right there for him and he knew and knows it now from where he is.
May Jazzy rest in peace.

How cute your current baby is however. It made me laugh to read that he puts his arm around you. That's so darling!
What is his name? Is he a big kitty?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioana
Funny, I was just browsing through the posts here and saw your response to tiger..? member that had problems with her kitty not eating after the infection occured. I read about your Jazzy and I cannot imagine how painful that must have been. You have been strong, and right there for him and he knew and knows it now from where he is.
May Jazzy rest in peace.

How cute your current baby is however. It made me laugh to read that he puts his arm around you. That's so darling!
What is his name? Is he a big kitty?
my new kitty's name is Sampson, however he is at the vet tonight, overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I caught him peeing in the corner of my computer room this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so I called the vet and took him in. I think this is the first time he has peed outside his litter box. I went and bought a black light, BIG MISTAKE!!, I am not sure what stains are from him or what are from Jazzy, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! In anycase, I brought him into the vet for them to check for UTI, and they said they couldn't get a urine sample so I opted to have him spend the night so they can get one right away. After battling Jasmine's disease last year, I am into doing things like "right now". So we'll know tomorrow... however, I have a feeling he is fine but is just a brat!!, LOL!!

Yes, he does put his arm around me when he sleeps right next to me at night He is such a nut, but a little loverboy at the same time. He also runs and jumps on my back the minute I step over to put on my shoes!! I sometimes stand up and catch him in mid-air attempting to jump on my back, when he will then crash into me into my chest and I start laughing. Yes, he is adorable, but he's a monster!! He has so much energy.

... but like I said, he's in the vet hospital tonight so they can get a urine sample tomorrow. If nothing is wrong physically, then I have to work with this little brat. I cannot have him peeing in my condo

oh btw... he's not so much a kitty, he's about 2.5yrs old right now... at least that's what the guess is.. I got him from the shelter in June 2005, when they guessed him at 1.5yrs at the time.... so in June, he'll be 2.5!! He's still a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:13 PM

That's such a cute story. I have a feral cat named Sampson Pallas. He is orange, somewhat buff, about a year and a half, he is a hissy character, quiete brave when I go feed them - he comes pretty close.
I am sory your Sampson is at the vet. I hope it is nothing serious.
My cat Cheerio has been struggling with an UTI for the past month or so. Clavamox didn't do it for her but for a short while; she's been on Zeniquin for ten days, and now again for two weeks. We know there is no stone because we had x-rays done. So at least that is out of the way. I have bought them a cat fountain, actually esp. for her, so she would drink more water.
She hasn't been in pain but has been straining and even staying in the box. She hasn't peed outside the box, and I am sure it is because she hasn't been experiencing pain.
I hope your kitty's problem is only behaviour related for that is easier to fix.
I am trying just as you to be preventive - feeding canned food, making sure they get enough water, watch their poop, pee...
Give Sampson a kiss from me. He sounds like such a sweetheart
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Hi ioana... well it isn't a UTI, so it's behavioral, pretty much what I thought, the little monster!!

... but I picked him up last night and I just love him to death, so I have to work with him. So I went and bought that CatAttract litter. So the good news it, he did pee in his box, but he also pood in the tub again!!!, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

So I've given in. If he wants to poo and pee in the tub, that's fine then, better than the carpet. I have been covering up the tub with paper, foil, another litter box, etc... to force him to use a box, but then he went on the carpet the other day, so maybe he was just frustrated because he really wants to poo and pee in the tub!!! So I'm going to let him. I pulled the litter box out of the tub, and put it on the floor... so today already he went and peed in the tub, right on the drain, LOL!! So really I just run the water and down it goes!! Good thing though that I have two full baths and this doesn't hinder me.

He did this tub thing right away when I got him, so maybe this is his thing, whatever!! There's worse things in the world right. As my boss says, pick my battles wisely. So all in all, if the cat wants to pee and poo in the tub, he's going too ... better than the carpet. Let's just hope that carpet incident was once, and he doesn't do it again

So what exactly is a feral cat?, a cat that lives outside? ... and then you have Cheerio as an inside cat? Cheerio is a very cute name!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 PM

Cheerio said "thank you, JAZZO"
First of all - my three kitties including Cheerio live exclusively indoors.
A feral cat has never had first hand contact with humans and is therefore weary of us, and of course, it lives outdoors. A cat is considered feral once it has spent more than 12 weeks without human contact. The more time they spend that way the more difficult it is to tame, provided that one can capture it.
I feed a pretty large feral colony. Most of those cats don't come even ten feet close to me, some come closer. There are different degrees but the bottom line is that you cannot pet them.
Along the way I have TNR (Trap Neutered Returned) more than 80 % of these feral cats. I have found permanent homes for more than 20 kittens that I have tamed, bottle fed and cared for until they were ready to be adopted.
Cheerio herself is half feral. I have trapped her when she was close to 20 weeks old. It was somehow easy to tame her because she was sick so she didn't ahve enough strength to fight me. She is now only coming to me but when I get her she will stay calm for somebody else to pet her..although trying to escape.
Actually all three of my kitties come from the same place. Frosty I have nursed since he was 11 oz and Tippy, I think she has been abandonned there and possibly been traumatised becase she has been friendly but has a hard time living indoors. I have to constantly work with her to work on her shyness.

I am relieved that you don't have to deal with an UTI.
Have you read Dr. Jean's "LitterBox Secrets" parts 1,2,3, and 4?
I now that it doesn't bother you if Sampson does his buisness in the bath tub but it might be a better way to fix the problem. I hope those articles can give you some clues.
I know you have the patience so perhaps in time, taking small steps you can find a way.
Here is the link to the library. You can scroll down from there to "Litterbox Secrets". There are so many small details that may not make sense to us, but make a whole world of a difference to our kitties.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Let me know if I can be of any more help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page