Picky Eater or Is Something Wrong? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Picky Eater or Is Something Wrong?

Nico had two recent bouts with vomiting -- the first time he was sick was around Valentine's Day, and I thought he may have eaten part of a plant and took him to the vet. The vet didn't find anything wrong with him and put him on Reglan for his tummy aches and a few cans of Science Diet A/D to get his nutrients back. He seemed to do well on the A/D and the Reglan helped, but since then, he would not eat his dry food (Natural Balance Green Pea and Venison -- I have another cat who also vomits and needs an allergy formula food, so all three cats eat the same dry food). He will eat some wet food, although he grows tired of eating it for every meal. I also had some Innova Evo in the cabinet, which he would eat periodically if he was starving and didn't want anything else.

On Saturday night, I ran out of canned food, so I had some Friskies in the cabinet that I got as a sample with some kitty litter, so I gave that to Nico and the vomiting started again. He threw up all day Sunday. The pet food store was closed, so I ran to Petco and grabbed a few bags of sensitive stomach food -- Purina Pro (or something) and Royal Canin -- to see if he would eat something, but he threw them both up (I think his stomach was still on the fritz). Now he's back to only eating wet food and not eating any dry. I gave him a pounce treat last night, which he also threw up, so I'm positive a food ingredient is messing up his little tummy.

So is Nico just being picky, or does he associate these dry foods with vomiting and not eating it because he's afraid he'll vomit? Also, does anyone have a food suggestion for a picky eater? I want my little guy to get better -- he's almost two and has never had eating problems until now.[/u]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Ok, I'll answer my own question.

Nico definitely has a problem -- took him to the vet again today since he threw up last night and this morning. The vet decided to put him on another round of Reglan and did some blood work, which we will get the results back tomorrow. Nico's lost two pounds in two weeks from not eating -- 15 to 13 pounds. Poor guy...hope he's okay.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Cool Cat

Sometimes it is easy to know who you have alot of confidence in taking the cat to the Vet, before things go on too long, so it's easy to think you don't have to reply,

but now I want to chime in,

my cat had bacteria from gingivitis that the Vet said was making her throat red and swelling,

Vet said this actually could go all the way down to the stomach, and I think also said it would make the intestines hard to the touch.

So she got antibiotics and eventually 3 cavites removed.

As you already have seeked professional help, I wish your cat a very speedy recovery along with the proper diagnosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you for your kind words. After Nico received a shot at the vet's office to settle his stomach, he savagely half a can of prescription food when we got home, so it seems he will eat when his stomach is not upset.

I hope it is something minor like a food allergy, but since it has gone on this long, I'm afraid that it isn't.

Will keep you posted if I find out anything tomorrow.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, the tests came back normal, so we started Nico on a round of penicillin to see if that helps. Yesterday, he was pretty lethargic, but today, he's back to his usual craziness. My boyfriend thought he heard Nico chomping on some dry food last night, so I might run up to the good pet store and pick up some high quality dry food along with his wet food to see how he handles it. He hasn't thrown up since Wednesday morning and he's chipper today, which seems like a good sign. I hope we are on the road to recovery...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page