new kitties HELP!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

new kitties HELP!!!

Hello,

I am a new cat owner. I recently adopted two black dsh cats from the humane society, they are brothers. I don't know what is best to feed them. I tried Science Diet but they dont seem to like it and I would like to give them the best possible nutrition.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 PM

Hi dcsdy,

There is a wealth of info on here from people more experienced than I, but your situation sounded so similar to mine I thought I would just relate what has been happening to me and my new cats.

I adopted a couple of kittens from our local shelter this summer. They are brothers like yours. They are great and I am really glad I was able to adopt both of them. Anyway, I started feeding them IAMS which I thought was an OK food. They seemed pretty healthy and then I ran out of the IAMS one day and just picked up a can of fancy feast and other grocery store brands that were easier to get. I also fed them some Meow Mix

Well in a few days of that one of my cats got sick. I am not sure if he is just senstive to cheaper cat foods, but he got an infection and I took him to a vet. That vet told me I should start thinking more seriously about my cats' diet. So I took his advice, and now they are really thriving and I am so amazed at how well they seem to feel.

I will try to make this post short and just give you a link to my vet's website.I posted it in another thread, but I know how hard it is to read all of the posts here.....there is so much infomation and so little time.

I wish I had taken my cats to this vet when I first got them. That is why I am posting this for you. I wish I had started them on this diet earlier in their lives.

Here is the link:

http://www.petcarenaturally.net/wst_page7.html

home page:

http://www.petcarenaturally.net/

Hope you find this interesting. Perhaps give you something to think about.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Tom Cat

I posted this comment on another subject but it might help you.

With cat food its all about preference. Are you just looking for the best deal or are you trying to feed them the best possible. There are many cat food brands out there all claiming they are the best for your cat. But are they really?
If you are trying and/or wanting to feed your cat the best food possible then you should feed them a holistic type of food. Some see holistic and think now they are going to have to start cooking for their cat. Others think they are going to have to take out a loan just to feed their cat. Both of these statements are both true and false. One holistic way is to start cooking for your cat (read up on cat nutrition) but there are holistic cat food companies that are just a few dollars more than commercial cat foods.
Have you taken a look at the ingrediants in your cat food? Do you actually know what the ingrediants consist of? You might be shocked if you found out what some of the ingrediants actually are. If your curious grab your cat food label and check out this web site (I don't promote this company's food but it is a holistic food) http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=ingr-wiz
click on the ingrediant to find out what it really is (try meat by products or animal digest). In the end, you can feed your cat whatever you like but if your looking for quality try to find a holistic type of cat food.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Tom Cat

Just to name a few are Innova, Wellness (made by a company Old Mother Hubbard), Merrick (only have cans but going to be coming out with dry soon), and Wysong. There are a few more big companies and a lot of mom and pop ones that are just as good but not as well known. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Premier Cat

Whoops, two threads going on the same topic.

Here's the other:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29861

I'll lock this one up.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page