help on what to feed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

help on what to feed

I am a new kittie owner. I have never had cats before. I recently adopted two black dsh kitties from the humane society.

I want to provide them the best nutrition so I bought them science diet and they absolutely detest it!!!

Does anybody have any information on what is the best to give them and what tends to be the most palatable.

Thank You

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Science diet is NOT a tasty food. My cats also detested it. You are not alone.

It would be much better for you to tell us which brands are available in your area first There are dozens of good foods in the U.S.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:28 PM

There are many good foods and I would agree, let us know what is available in your area. People definitely have a preference for certain brands. Look at the ingredients and make sure the first few ingredients are meat based. You don't want grain based. Also, as a new kitty owner know that cats are quite persnickety when it comes to new foods. Even the best foods may take some adjustment on the part of your kittens. What you want to do is start with the food they have been eating and gradually add more and more of the new food. There is a lot of good information on this site regarding cat food and I would encourage you to take a peek under the health part of this forum and look up the ones on food. It can be a bit overwhelming but get a general idea. I would say the main things would be:

-Food that is mainly meat based
-Canned food is good and by many, preferred, despite what you may be told by some. And since you have little kittens, get them used to that right away before they want nothing but dry. You have all kinds of opinions on how much of canned, dry etc. but I would at least aim for cats that will eat both dry and canned and the earlier you begin this the easier it will be in the long run as the older they get, the more set in their ways they get.

How fun for you! Two new kittens! Congratulations and welcome to the forum! It's a great place to share and learn about our kitties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Tom Cat

I posted this information earlier today, in another thread, but I'll repeat it here:

Wet food -- Merrick (100% meat or fish, with no fillers or byproducts)

Dry food -- Wellness (the main ingredients are meat, fish, and vegetables, not corn meal or the other worthless fillers that top the lists for most products)

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Premier Cat

I'll move this thread over to Health and Nutrition for you.

Kim, you may want to edit the title so other members know what sort of help you need. Just hit the "Edit" button on the top right of your original post to do this.

And welcome!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Cat Addict

My cats love Nutrience and Iams too... and my vet told me they're good for them...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Cool Cat

You could also call the shelter and ask them what they feed, dietary changes can be stressful for cats, so if the shelter feeds mostly donated foods, it's probably something like Friskies (if they're lucky) or generic store-brand (if they're not). We average around 60-70% Special Kitty and 30-40% other foods. It may be easier to change their diet if you start with what they're used to. They may also just be reluctant to eat if they've just come home, just because they're stressed.

That said, SciDiet does taste pretty yucky (at least the ones I've tried). There are a ton of threads here about what's good food. I personally liked Wellness and Innova dry (because I could get them where I live), as my cat has issues with corn and both of those are corn-free. I prefer an all (or mostly) canned food diet because I think it's healthier and more logical for cats, but you'll have to make your own determination there. I have my own criteria for choosing foods, but basically, I look for named meats and meat meals in the first three ingredients (as opposed to, say, "meat" or "poultry," I want to see "Chicken" or "Beef"), no by-products (this is a grey area, and I've not yet found a cat food that I think uses a balanced amount of byproducts, so I avoid them altogether). I look for foods with absolutely no corn, wheat, or soy, and prefer one that uses whole grains. I also avoid things like BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, and additives that I believe are unhealthy. My cat has further dietary issues, but if I was looking for a solid, basic maintenance food, that would be my initial set of tests.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:06 PM

Science Diet isn't the best. Some places promote it because of a contract they have with the company.

Try Merrick (canned food) or Nutro Max Cat (dry or canned food). Nutro is found at national chains like Petco as well as small pet stores. Merrick is hard to find. Innova, Wellness, Chicken Soup are all great, but it just depends on if the cat likes it. Many cats love Nutro and Merrick at least from my experience. Nutro also has a Natural Balance line too.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Cat Addict

good cat food

Has anyone ever hear of Advanced Pet Diets Select Choice cat food? My pet store said it was one of the best. What about Flint River Ranch? I took my 9 month old kitten/cat to the vet and she said he was too fat and should be off of kitten food. The vet said he should of been on cat food after he was neutered. I feed him nutro natural choice kitten food now. I guess I need to switch to cat food. He weighs almost 13 pounds now and has a hanging belly. Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Cat

Re: good cat food

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy96444
Has anyone ever hear of Advanced Pet Diets Select Choice cat food? My pet store said it was one of the best. What about Flint River Ranch? I took my 9 month old kitten/cat to the vet and she said he was too fat and should be off of kitten food. The vet said he should of been on cat food after he was neutered. I feed him nutro natural choice kitten food now. I guess I need to switch to cat food. He weighs almost 13 pounds now and has a hanging belly. Thanks
Flint River Ranch is a good food. I've never heard of Advanced Pet Diets Select Choice cat food (wow, that tired out my fingers!) but don't always trust pet store owners. My Petsmart tried to push Royal Canin on me on Opening day and Royal Canin isn't a good food (it's "okay" but not great). They also have aisles and aisles of Science Diet.

Just took a look at the Advanced Pet Diets food (it's by Breeders' Choice) and it's not a good food. First ingredient is a good meat (Chicken Meal in one of the formulas) but the 2nd ingredient is corn and 3rd is corn gluten meal. Not a good food, I'd avoid it and go for the Flint River Ranch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page