Litter box training our barn cat for the indoors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Litter box training our barn cat for the indoors

Hi - we are trying to transition our cat from the barn to an indoor/outdoor cat, yet she won't use the litter box. She is about 2 years old. We have put the litter box where she goes on the carpet (she just found a new place on the carpet to go), we switched from scented litter to dirt from the barn (still didn't use the litter box), we have kept her locked in the laundry room with the litter box at night (went on the tile). We are at a loss. We would like to keep her an indoor/outdoor cat, but are moving in one month and need to litter box train her for the move, hotel until we buy a house, etc. Any suggestions? We have kept her outside for the last couple weeks and are starting over with unscented litter in the box.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Cool Cat

I've read about a "cat attract" litter on this forum recently, you may try a search on that,

Welcome to the forum,

my barn cat was 3 months old and had to be repeatedly put into the litter but she got the hang of it and has never had problems for the most part.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Tom Cat

Have you tried putting her inside the clean litterbox and gently moving her paws to sift and move the litter? That often works.

Another trick is to place some of her solid waste on top of the litter, and then put her inside the box and use her paws to cover the waste.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

We have put her in the clean litter box pan and use her paws to move the litter, but she just fights us and can't wait to get out. I try the trick about putting her solid waste in the box and using her paws to cover it.

I'll check out the cat attract litter too - thanks for your help! I guess patience is a virtue, right?

Jana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page