Orphan Kitten's Eyes and Concerns for my 10 month old cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Orphan Kitten's Eyes and Concerns for my 10 month old cat

Hello,
I am just getting around to posting but have been reading for many months. I am a faithful reader. I have had cats in my life as long as I can remember however after loosing my darling Powder Puff at 14 yrs I decided I couldn't have another cat, It hurt to much loosing her. Well as we all know not everything go's as planned LOL My darling DohG came into my life on May 13th 2005 along with his sister. Their mother was a feral in the neighborhood that I had hoped to catch and spay was able to. She was however trapped by a very unfriendly person on May 11th. We had a horrid storm and I went to check the kittens, Finding 1 already had passed away, I was however able to save the remaining two. DohG is a Beautiful Blue with some white long hair boy and his sister *Who Now lives with My sister* is a Black with white.
DohG claimed me as his own, I am his mommy, slave and he is the King of the house!

This brings me to my 2 concerns tonight.

1:
My grandmother called me today, she has a feral cat that claimed her house as hers. She is finally able to touch her a bit but has yet to be able to get her spayed. The mom wasn't able to nurse her baby after 4 days. I have been helping her hand feed him a bit, but she asked me to take him today because she is unable to continue caring for him the way he needs to be.
My biggest concern for him right now, is his eyes. He is 14 days old. His eyes are blue, and look a bit cloudy. They have been open now for 2 or 3 days. Is this normal? My vet didn't want me to bring him in unless I saw something to be concerned about because of how young he is.

2:
Is there anything I need to be concerned about with DohG in terms of diseases from this baby? DohG is Up to date on his shots, however he wasn't given a Feline Leukemia shot because my vet felt that because he tested neg and is a indoor only cat that he didn't need it.

Thank you so much for your help! I will be posting again.......Its endless questions everyday it seems with DohG LOL

Michelle & DohG....and the wee Blue eyed wonder that needs the perfect home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
My biggest concern for him right now, is his eyes. He is 14 days old. His eyes are blue, and look a bit cloudy.
Maybe you should call on another Vet for a second opinion, I'm guessing you've already discussed this with the current Vet?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Premier Cat

Isn't it funny how they find us? I'm so glad you have DohG and he has you! And, perhaps, a little brother?
Newly opened kitten eyes do look a little strange, even slightly cloudy but not too much. How does he seem otherwise? Does he have a good appitite? Look healthy? Is it the 3rd eyelid or just very slight dullness, like the color isn't fully there yet? Hard to discribe! Is there any discharge? If it's the 3rd eyelid or any discharge I'd bring him to the vet. Otherwise, as long as he's acting fine, I'd just keep a very close eye on him over the next couple of days and see if they brighten up. I'm sure your vet doesn't want to expose such a little kitten to anything that might be at the clinic unless absolutely necessary as he doesn't have much of an immune system yet.
If you do bring the wee kitten home I would certainly keep them completely separated until he's able to have a full exam and blood tests. Also use precautions after handling the kitten ( wash hands, change clothes and shoes). Even though your cat has the FVRCP shot, it isn't 100% and the kitten could have something.
I would also talk to the vet for advice about what the risks would be to your cat and what pecautions to take. Good luck!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replys!
Sadly the little one passed away, I knew something was wrong. The vet felt his eyes opened to early as well as he had a lung infection.

Again thanks for the help however!

Michelle
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, very sad, at least he did get your love and attention.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. They're such fragile little things. But as CD said, at least he had love and care while he was here.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page