Death without symptoms - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Death without symptoms

Hello, english isn't my main language so I am sorry if I make any mistakes.

I came back from work yesterday evening, and I found my cat dead. He did not show any symptoms of sickness, in fact, that morning he woke me up because he was running all over my bedroom and kept jumping on and off the bed.

I was wondering if anybody knew any reason a cat can die without showing any symptoms? I am worried if it can be related to virus, as if I get another cat, I don't want him to die as well. By the way, my cat was about 8 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Also, I just recently (about 2 weeks ago) changed his food for adult food. He seemed to be eating as much as before, but maybe it could be some kind of allergy?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 PM

Oh I'm so sorry. What a shock for when you came home. Could your kitten have gotten to anything that would have been poisonous to a cat? Could he have been wild running around (as kittens do) and fell and hit his head on something? I just don't know. Hopefully another poster may come up with some other ideas but you may never know unless a vet looked at him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:21 PM

I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of your kitty. I don't have any idea about why he died, but just wanted to give you some sympathy. *hugs*
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Do you have a roommate?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. What a terrible thing to happen!
The only way to know for sure what it was is to have the vet do a necropsy (autopsy) but one of (if not the) the most common causes of sudden death in cats is heart disease. Often there are absolutely no symptoms. I think, more than likely, if it were a virus there would have been some clue before hand. But I would certainly talk to a vet if you're concerned and see if they think it could have been anything contagious and if you need to disinfect your house for another cat.
Again, I'm very sorry and hope you have another kitty to love very soon.

Victoria
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody

To answer the question, no, I don't have a roomate. I doubt he fell or hit himself because when I found him he looks like he was asleep, very peaceful and comfortable. It's when he didn't react to my presence that I understood.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Cool Cat

Welcome to the Cat Forum, I am so sorry it had to be under these circumstances though!

Unfortunately, I can relate to your loss.

I adopted a 2 1/2 year old calico in November, 2004. Everything was great! She got along right away with my other cats and altho she had a little cold, she was getting over that. One Saturday AM I woke up, was playing with all the cats and she was happily running through the house. I remember even saying to her, "well you just fit right in don't you?! Are you happy here?"

I went to run some errands and was only gone a couple of hours. I got home and she was lying motionless on the bathroom floor not breathing. I ran her to the emergency vet down the street but she was gone.

I did the same things I am sure that you have done... going over the day and the days leading up to the loss - trying to figure out if I missed something. I will tell you that from my reading and the vets I have spoken to, they believe it was a heart attack, which while not common, is certainly possible. they could have done an autopsy, but I figured she was gone so it didn't matter. But that is always an option that may give some answers.

From my research after her death, sudden death in cats is most likely due to a heart condition or heart worms or possibly an aneurism of some sort.
There is not a lot of info but here is a link that was helpful. http://www.vetinfo.com/csuddeath.html

The loss of any pet is terrible but when it is so sudden and unexpected, it is so devestating!!

While I can't give you answers, I pray that you find comfort in knowing you gave the little one a good home for the short time he was here.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

How sad.

The first thing I come to think of is heart disease. One of the "symptoms" of the heart disease HCM is sudden death and I think that goes for some other heart conditions to.

The only way to find out is to have a postmortem done.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 05:42 PM

Our 13-year old cat had a heart disease called called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He never exhibited any symptoms, and nothing ever showed up in his check-ups.

But one day his hind legs were paralyzed, and he was in much pain. It was attributed to a blood clot that had formed because of the heart diseasee.

His paralysis appeared suddenly and without warning, just as your cat's death was sudden. But as others said, anything said without an autopsy is just speculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page