information on sick cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

information on sick cats

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced what has been going on with my kittens.

They are 12-13 weeks old and we adopted them from the humane society a month ago. At first they were very happy and playful then the little one started to have a runny nose and sneezing. It got very severe and so I took him to the vet. The vet put him on Amoxil and I gave it to him for 10 days. He got better but on the 10th day when his nose was still runny, I called the vet and she put him on Zeniquin 25 mg for 5 days.

He seemed like this medicine worked up until today when all of the sudden, he sounds stuffy again. His nose isn't runny but I can hear the stuffiness.

The other kitten started coughing shortly after the first one got sick so I took him to and the vet said he was wheezing and put him on Clindamycin. He was doing very well, stopped coughing. Again until today he seems like he is stuffy and is coughing again.

They are indoor cats and aren't around any other animals at all.

Does anybody know what this could be and what I should do? I am getting worried about them.

Thanks

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Cool Cat

When I got my farm cat at 12 weeks she had a cold and watery eyes and it cleared up then came back alot,

we ended up going to the Vet several times and the shot he was giving her seemed to do the best, but I can't remember what it was.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:30 PM

The vet is the expert and it sounds like you're working with him/her. I can only tell you my experience. It is very typical for cats from the Humane Society to become sick, especially with respiratory infections. My guess is that your kittens were carrying something when you adopted them as it sounds like they got sick fairly soon after adoption since you've only had them a month. My experience: when we got Wallace from the Humane Society he appeared well the day we got him and then that night he let out the biggest sneeze I've ever heard a cat make and it was all down hill from there as he started to become quite ill the next day. After a couple days we did bring him in to the vet, they put him on antibiotics and we did that, and he felt better within a week, but he continued to sneeze boogers for several weeks. That was over two years ago and he hasn't been sick since. Marcellus got sick from Wallace during that time but he cleared up quite quickly. While I can't give a diagnosis, I do know that kitty colds can take a long time to clear up, just like some of the colds we get. Keep working with your vet if needed and the best to you and your kitties. I would say that as long as they are feeling better and are eating and drinking well I wouldn't worry too much. Keep an eye on them but from runny nose to stuffy nose sounds just the like the natural course of a cold. Of course, if it becomes long term, your vet will want to look into it more. Hope they feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 03:00 PM

hi there...
my kitten is sick at moment too and he is sneezing and coughing and got sick this morning.
He also doesnt eat at all anymore since yesterday.
Does ur kitten still eat and play?
I was to the vet with him today and he gave him a liitle injection but he didnt say that i have to come back with him.
I just hope he will start eating soon as without food he will loose alot of weight and energy!

Nati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page