He keeps sneaking the wrong food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

He keeps sneaking the wrong food

Hi,
My cat DohG has been on a healthy diet from about 7 days old. I hand fed him, from the time he was ready to eat solid food he has eaten a a higher end food. Nutro, Natrual Balance, Chicken soup etc. He has only had wet food with a bit of dry food here and there.

However my sister came to stay with me for a few months, she has 2 cats of her own, 1 being DohGs sister. My sister feels that Cat chow, in-door formula is a great food and thats what she feeds her cats. Only dry food.
She also free feeds.

Well DohG of course LOVEs this food. Everytime I turn around he is in her room crunching away. He has gotten to the point that he will only eat on full meal of wet food everyday. Not anything like he used to, normally (Before his sisters food came into play) he would eat about 5 small meals a day, I work in my home so I can bring him his food often. I have tried to get him to eat a healthier dry food, but he doesnt eat much of that either.
He hasnt been to the vet for a few months but from what we can see he has gained alot of weight. Don't get me wrong he is big boy, but is much bigged now. My sister thinks its because of his wet food, of course we know better.

My questions:
Is him eating this food for 4 months or so going to harm him? My sister along with her darling cats will be heading back to their home the end of this month.

How do I go about getting him back to his normal feedings....with less and less dry?

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
See, I would try to take this oppurtunity to educate your sister, and express why this food and way of feeding isn't the best thing for her cats. If you show her the differences in ingredients between what you feed and what she's feeding, even maybe offer a "trial run" where she feeds her cats your food for the period of time she's at your house, to see the difference it will make to her cats (less stool, shedding, healthier coats, eating less food, etc.) If you can afford it, offer to feed her cats your food, as part of the "trial".

It might be difficult to get your cat eating healthy again if he's been eating the equivalent to McDonalds every day for 4 months! I'd try best to avoid that!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Julia for the reply.

That was exactly what my approch was to begin with. I tried to show her why I was feeding DohG what he eats. Why I am not willing to use grocery store brands.

Her cats love DohG's Food, when he wont finish his meal they come and eat it. She sees it and feels its a treat.
I offered to pay to feed her cats while she was here, She has been here sense early December and will be staying until March 27th. However she feels that them changing foods is not a good idea right now because she is pretty sure that she will go back to feeding them their normal food when she heads back to her place.
Her biggest argument is that when her cats were spayed the vet said they were in great health, good body shape and perfect weight. When I see her cats I feel they are under weight. However when she see's DohG she says he is way overweight. Which I can agree he is a BIG boy, but she doesnt understand the wet food agrument. She feels that if I was to feed him what her cats eat only he wouldnt be so big. I try to explain to her that 1 he was always bigger then the girls, even at 7 days old, 2 he was neutered when he was 9 weeks old and his vet now says that doing it so early can make them gain more weight and 3 I have shown her that her food is mostly Garbage and Carbs.....

That said, He has been eating a bit more of his normal diet the past few days so Im thinking that my trying to keep him out of their food might be working a little. He still gets in there, But not as often.

Do you think once their food is gone and he doesnt have a choice but to eat his normal diet, is it bad to only offer him that? Do I need to go buy him some ofthe cheaper food and "wean" him off it? I would rather not but I do want him to eat. I have read everything on here about switching to a new diet and such, Im just worried sense cats cant go without eating for long.

Thank you again for your reply!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Premier Cat

Well, obviously, the best scenario would be to change your sister's mind but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen anytme soon.
As far as switching DohG back I wouldn't worry. He's still eating some of his own food right? It probably won't be as hard as you think. My guess is, once the other food isn't available, he'll go back to his regular food. I don't think it's necessary to buy ant junk food.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page