Brushing Neko's Teeth? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Brushing Neko's Teeth?

Today while watching Barcelona vs. Chelsea, my brother asked why we don't brush Neko's teeth. I told him that some ppl on the forum do brush their cats teeth. and he asked then why don't we do that. I didn't know what to tell him.

Should I be brushing Neko's teeth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:05 PM

Neko is a beautiful cat! It is a good idea to brush our cat's teeth. However my cat, Rocky, made such a fuss, I had earlier given up. For her first 14 years her teeth were fine and at age 14 the vet had her teeth cleaned. She didn't have to get any pulled or anything. But it scared me that she had to go under to have this done and as she is getting older I'd rather have her fuss for a couple minutes while I brush her teeth than her have to go under for that again.

I got one of the tiny CET brushes (very soft) for cats and seafood CET toothpaste. I have to sit on top of her. Then I talk gently to her and try to make it sounde like fun to brush her teeth. I open her mouth and brush all the teeth lightly and then she gets a CET cat chew. My vet said if I can do that twice a week that would stop 90% of the plaque on her teeth.

http://www.entirelypets.com/corhykitforc.html

http://www.entirelypets.com/cetchewforca.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 PM

Yeah, I think it's a good idea too. My cat is 13 yo and he just got his teeth cleaned by the vet for the first time. They had to pull 3 of his teeth because he had such bad tooth disease. I never thought to brush his teeth before but I definitely do now. I don't want him to have to go through that experience again espec since he had problems coming out of the anesthesia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Tom Cat

Brushing is a great idea. Its helps prevent gum disease and bad breath. One thing that you might want to think about is that there are mixed views on whether Fluoride in cat toothpaste is good for there intestines. You might want to read up before picking out a toothpaste. There are some toothpastes without Fluoride.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 AM

I have had trouble brushing the teeth of my cats. Unfortunately Audrey now is getting more severe tooth decay over time. She used to be fine getting a dental cleaning once a year. It has been only 6 months since the last cleaning, and two of her teeth (the ones next to the canines) are rotting at the gumline and have to be extracted. The rest of the teeth have significant tartar buildup. It's going to cost me $400 (normally I pay nothing for dental work due to my "wellness" plan).

I am going to have to start up brushing the teeth again. Anyone have any advice for getting them to open their mouths? Audrey was ok with me just lifting up the lips, but never allowed me to open her mouth fully to get at the hard-to-reach spots.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Where on their teeth do cats have plaque? on the front or on the back of the teeth?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:57 PM

My vet told me that getting the toothpaste on the front of the teeth is probably good enough, as they get less on the back.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko55
Where on their teeth do cats have plaque?
Plaque forms on the entire surface of the tooth and extends to below the gumline. Plaque which isn't removed hardens into tartar. The main health problem caused by this is gum disease, which in a serious case can cause serious systemic illness.

What the vet meant is on the outside of the tooth.

If you can't open your cat's mouth, you can still get most of the outside of the tooth if the toothbrush is small enough to fit in between the lip and the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page