Mystery smell, more to this - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Mystery smell, more to this

As I reported, Buster has this stink on him I can't get rid of. I've tried bathing him twice, even shaving his fur in spots. Where the area stinks is also where his fur is matted.

Well I came home today and noticed he has been salivating this thick brown stuff. It was all around his mouth. I wiped if off with a tissue and took a wiff and the smell was the same. His fur is also matted once again and it stinks.

I think the matted fur/foul odor is from where he had been grooming himself.

I noticed yesterday he was salivating a bit but didn't think much of it until I came home today.

Tommorrow I'm going to try to check him into the vet to see what it could be. I don't think it's rabbis because I had him vacinated a few months ago. He's not foaming at the mouth. Just salivating what looks like a thick brown stuff.

His nose has been scratched from where I think one of my female cats kept smaking him in the face. I don't know if it's an infection or what.

Probably a good idea to get him fixed while he is at the vet.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Premier Cat

I don't know what it could be but it sounds like he needs to go to te vet immediately.

Victoria
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 02:40 AM

I would have him checked out as soon as possible. Could it be a tooth or gum infection? Poor little guy. Let us know what the vet says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysMom
I would have him checked out as soon as possible. Could it be a tooth or gum infection? Poor little guy. Let us know what the vet says.
I got back from the vet and he said Buster had ulcers on his tongue. So that was where the foul odor on his fur was coming from.

He checked him out but he did not have feline aids. He him a shot and gave me some medicine for him.

So hopefully this will take care of him.

I also made an appointment to have him neutered.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Let me know what happens, my cat had exactly the same thing! Does your cat drink on its own though>?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by auboy
Let me know what happens, my cat had exactly the same thing! Does your cat drink on its own though>?
I saw him eating today but haven't seen him drink anything. What worried me last night was is I have one of those water bowls that when filled up and turned upside down and it refills itself. Usually I would have to fill it up at least once a week but can't remember the last time I refilled it and it's half full.

So I was suspicious last night he might have rabies since that's a sign. But the vet didn't say anything about it.

However Buster has the ability to go outside so he has probably been getting his water from another source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page