Bizarre behaviour - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Bizarre behaviour

Over the last 6 months my 16 year old cat has lost weight, she has been eating well and drinking well, and her toilet habits seem the same as previously, occasionallly she has vomited, but mainly fluids. She has smelly breath, of which she's had for a while, I just put this all down to her age. Over the last week, she will hardly tough her food, I have tried different brands/flavours, her behaviour has been very clingy to me and wants to sit on me every moment I sit down, she is unsettled unless I am sat down. As she is not eating, she has been trying to steal food, she has dragged the bread out the bread bin and clawed it, attacked a fresh pizza before I had chance to put it in the fridge, she is continuosly scroungging for food, last night she ate half of mys ones dinner, which had a plastic lid!!! Today she has been very unsettled and running around, I gave her some cheese (one of her favourite foods) she took it, then dropped it and yelped and growled and ran away, she had done this earlier with my son, so I gave her some of her favourite ham, she ate this fine, but not as willingly as she normally does, she then sat on the arm of the armchair and meowed at me. She does not seem to have any pain and just wants to sleep on me all the time, even then she can be fidgety. Can you help? Is it down to her age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
I would take to vet just to be sure. The smelly breath could be from an ulcer on her tongue.

----------
Renée
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I'm going to have to at the weekend, I do keep putting it off in case its bad news and she has to go, as I've had her since a kitten, I was just hoping that it is old age, but I think maybe diabetes or hyperthyroid.

Thanks for contacting me thou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Premier Cat

I would also take her in for a full check up with blood work and urine tests. It could be several things but does sound like hyperthyroidism is a possability. Voracious appetite, and not being able to settle or being aggitated are classic signs. Good news is it's vry treatable. So is diabetes for that matter although the symptoms are usually a little different. My old man became hyperthyroid and did fine on meds. It seems to me he had pretty stinky breath at first too, but it could be unrelated.
Good luck and let us know how it goes at the vet.

Victoria
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 02:26 AM

I agree about taking her to the vet. She is probably in discomfort and best to find out what is wrong so she can get back to feeling herself. And as that she is in her teens you want to take care of problems right away. Hope all is ok and she is back to normal very soon.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 10:08 AM

My cat had very stinky breath as well. Does your cat also have very thick saliva, and does drool alot? If so it may very likely be an ulcer, but taking her to the vet is a good idea!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your support, we're booked into the vets for tomorrow, fingers cross that is something treatable and she comes home again. I think it could be a possiblility of hyperthyroid, but I'll let you know.
Thanks
xxxx
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:30 PM

My first thought with the bad breath and wanting to eat but really unable to eat is bad teeth/or tooth, especially since your cat is older. I know if I have pain in my mouth I am quite agitated and unsettled and certain foods definitely are harder to eat than others. An ulcer could do that too, for sure. Definitely, as others have said, a vet visit is necessary to determine what the problem is, which you will be doing tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

We're recently back from the vets, the vet is pretty sure Treacle (cats name) has hyperthyroidism, she could feel some lumps under the neck and she said she is dehydrated. The vet took some blood for testing and will let me know tomorrow the results, as for the smelly breath, Treacle has alot of tar and possibly gingevitus, the vet gave her an antibiotic injection and a pain killer, she has to go back Tuesday tea time for another injection and they are going to keep her in and sort her teeth out. So, even thou its bad news, I am relived its treatable and a big cost I must say, but she has been a great companion for the last 15 years, so she's worth it.
As she's an older cat, I have no insurance, but they do run a scheme were you pay approx £8.00 a month and you get 10-20% of bills plus free frontline and worming and free checks up and a few other bits, so I thought it was a good deal and thought I would recommend it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

The blood tests came back with bad kidneys and slight anaemic, there is no problem with the thyroids. the vet is going to give her some tablets to help the kidneys, she cannot tell how long they will last, it could be 3 months or three years, fingers crossed for three years. Treacle went in today for tratment on her teeth, and all being well, she'll come home on Thursday, its very odd around the house without, thou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page