Frustrating Chicken Allergy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Frustrating Chicken Allergy

After weeks of sending Nico to the vet for various vomiting problems, I think I've figured out he's allergic to chicken flavoring and/or actual chicken in dry food. He vomits every time I feed him anything with chicken and turns up his nose at the chicken flavored wet food, so I'm cutting it out completely...but I need some suggestions on food that does not have chicken in it. He can't stand any of the venison diets or sensitive stomach foods that I've bought, so those are out.

So far, I've found he will eat Merrick Thanksgiving Day Dinner canned a little bit (but he doesn't like the leftovers - ha!) and Solid Gold dry food (lamb flavored), which I got as a sample at the pet store but haven't bought a bag of it yet and may do that after work. He also liked the Hills A/D the vet gave us, but I threw out the can and not sure what was in it.

I'm getting frustrated with opening up a can of food and he doesn't touch it...not sure what else to do. My boyfriend thinks I am giving him too much of a variety and that he will eventually eat when he gets hungry, but he can't afford to not eat -- he's already lost two pounds.

Does anyone know if a chicken allergy is common in cats? I think I read something on the internet about it when I was researching his vomiting episodes but not sure where I saw it or if it was even the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:49 PM

Try the California Natural. I think they have canned food also. If not the dry is high quality, but it will have carbs. They have a lamb and rice (brown) formula. Basically they are a limited ingredient diet (good for allergies in general) so they have lamb, rice, and a bunch of vitamins, minerals and that sort of stuff.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Tom Cat

That's going to be a tough one. Chicken is used in almost all pet food as either a protein or a flavoring. So far Wysong is the only one that I have found that has a few foods that contain no chicken what so ever. California Natural (at least on their web site) has only two canned foods that would work for you. One is lamb and the other is fish. Fish should be given sparingly because of its high ash content. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Premier Cat

It seems to me I did read somewhere here that chicken is a common allergy. Ugh! A major drag with a picky eater! I know the million opened cans on the counter scenario well!
Have you tried (as a short term bribe) getting some regular meat baby food (human) like lamb, beef or turkey, and mixing it in or smearing it ontop of the food to get him interested in it? That really helped with my finicky guy. After a couple of days he was eating the food he hadn't liked.

Victoria
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Is Nico allergic to just chicken meat? Or all chicken? Because most companies use chicken fat as a cheap fat source (yes, even the good foods!), and you may find a food that doesn't have chicken as a PROTEIN ingredient, it will still have chicken fat in it. Just so you know, the Katz and Flocken (which is the Solid Gold cat food) does have chicken meal as the second ingredient.

Wellness Super5Mix Salmon (dry) has no chicken or chicken fat, but it has chicken liver...

There are several Merrick canned formulas other than the Thanksgiving Day Dinner that are free of chicken, I don't know if you've tried them yet or not... Cowboy Cookout is free of any chicken as is Surf n Turf, California Roll has chicken broth and stock, and New England Boil just has broth.

Natures Variety Prarie has two kibbles, the Beef and Barley and the Lamb and Rice. The Beef and Barley has chicken fat, whereas the Lamb and Rice is completley chicken free.

I could keep looking if you'd like, but I'll stop here for now Good luck!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Nature's Variety Prairie has a lamb food specifically formulated to combat chicken allergy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page