cats not eating normally..new to the forum..anyone can help? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

cats not eating normally..new to the forum..anyone can help?

I have two cats about 8 mos. old. They have been very healthy and Ive had no problems with them since I got them as kittens. I have had them on Science Diet since they came home from the pound. First kitten formula and then Light. When I ran out of the Light and went to get more, the pet store was out of that formula and I got the regular adult kind. They dont seem to like it much and barely eat a tablespoon at at time. They are not interested in wet formula either, which is also S/D. They seem to be hungry all the time, crying when I get near the bowls or refill the bowls. Ive tried a few other flavors of wet and dry food and tonight I tried another brand name of food..Purina One..which one ate and then threw it up not long afterwards. They are drinking fine and seem fine otherwise..although they sleep more curled up..rather than stretched out as before.. and seems to be a bit more often than before. They are indoor/outdoor cats and have also been killing alot of lizards lately. I cannot check their litter box habits as they go outdoors. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to get it all out. Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome!!

A couple of things..switching to a new food is a good idea for a number of reasons. However, you have to do it slowly to prevent stomach upset and make sure there are no allergic reactions.

Once you've decided on a new food, gradually switch by mixing the new with the old. Add a bit at first, then gradually change the ratio until you are no longer using the old food. Doing this over a 2-3 week period has worked well for me.

Science Diet is not a high-quality food and is not palatable to alot of cats. My cats have always hated it! Also, I learned from people on this forum that there are much better foods out there.

Purina also has alot of fillers and meat by-products and not much (if any)meat -- this is generally true of supermarket brands.

Do you have a pet store near you? A high-quality diet doesn't have to cost alot, and it will be better for your cats in the long run. Do you plan to feed wet, dry, or a combination?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I do have a petstore nearby. I have been adding some of the old food to some of the new one. I try to get more food before I completely run out for that reason. When I adopted them the vet suggested that. They just dont seem to want it. Ive been reading the forum for awhile and have read some of the suggestions for food, but they dont sound familiar and I have not seen them at the store close to me. I have the ususal pet chains, Petco, Petsmart, etc. I might be looking in the wrong places.
What about giving them some small pieces of cooked chicken? I know not to give them alot as they might not want to go back to regular food at all..but they seem so hungry.

Thank you for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Oops, I forgot..I have been feeding dry only since they were about 4mos. old. But I will feed them whatever is best and that they will eat. Thanks!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Cool Cat

Just go get a mixed variety of Fancy Feast cans and try them all,

you should try to see if it's the food or if something is making them sick,

I wouldn't worry so much about the mixing and quality at a certain point they may be sick and anything would be better than nothing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I got some more dry food that is guaranteed by the shop to work. Its Performance Edge for finicky adults. When I mix it with their old food they will eat a bit more than before.

Someone suggested to me that they may be going through a period where they just dont need to eat as much or that they are eating at a house nearby that has cats. I guess I just dont feel sure as they still seem to want food until I put it in front of them. Ive never heard before that they go through "eating phases".

Maybe this new brand that is completely natural will be better.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 AM

Vomitting is pretty common when switching off a dry food that has been fed for years. I had to gradually make the switch too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:39 PM

My parents cat's were fed strictly dry food and they vomited a lot. The cats don't much at all now since they have been switched to wet food. A coworker of mine has a similar problem. I am not a fan of dry food for that and many other reasons and don't give it to my cats anymore.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

They seem to be a bit better today. They are picking out the pieces of the new food and eating those..still not as much as before, but more than a week ago.

I can not make up my mind whether or not to feed only wet or dry or a mix. I've been told by my vet to do dry only and yet have heard all the arguements against it.

But as long as they are eating for now, Im happy.

Thank you for all of your help!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichotomia
I can not make up my mind whether or not to feed only wet or dry or a mix. I've been told by my vet to do dry only and yet have heard all the arguements against it.
I wonder why your vet would recommend dry only? Although it is commonly believed that dry is better for the teeth, this is not true.

Sadly, many vets are not well-educated about nutrition. As you may have noticed, Iams and Science Diet are marketed heavily to vets, which explains why this food is so prominently sold in their offices. These are not the best quality foods out there. And these food reps are the ones the vets are getting their info from...

Many cats don't drink enough water, and the wet provides needed moisture. I feed my cats a mix of both for convenience. My vet told me that at least one serving of wet food a day is necessary.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page