Cat acne?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Cat acne??

I recently adopted a 6 month old kitten from a local foster carer. The same day I brought him (Ben) home, I noticed a flea on him. I immediately got one of those liquid spot treatments and put that on him. I also noticed black scabby-dirtlike spots under his chin. I assumed they were flea dirt and combed them out with a fine-toothed flea comb. I haven't noticed any flea problem since the medication and I've made a regular habit out of brushing Ben down with the flea comb just in case. Even though I haven't noticed any fleas, the "dirt" on his chin comes back every time I brush it out. I googled 'scabs under chin' and found a lot about something called cat acne. Ben is totally white and I read that white cats have a higher chance of developing acne. Is this true? Also, if it is acne, what can I do about it without bringing him to the vet? I've only ever used stainless steel bowls and I brush out the scabs whenever I see them. There doesn't seem to be any bumps (pimples) and its not red. Also, when I brush the "dirt" out, he doesn't seem to react in pain and they come out easily (with just a bit of hair attached). Please help me as I want to keep Ben clean and healthy!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Banned

Well, it really depends sometimes it can be acne and sometimes it can be an absense. Clean it w/ hydrogen peroxide and if it doesn't go away then its an absense. Baby had something like that one time and she had to have surgery to drain it out. I think you should go to the vet to see what it really is.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Jr. Cat

I'll bet he was fed out of a plastic dish at some point in his life- and probably recently. Just because you are using stainless steel now doesn't mean that he couldn't have lingering acne from any plastic used previously.

How long have you actually had him?

If it were me I would disinfect his stainless steel bowls regularly, wash his chin area daily, and wait for improvement. I would check with my vet about the optimum product to use to clean him and whether or not any specific topicals might be of use.
If the problem persisted beyond a couple of weeks despite my efforts, I would have the vet look at it again and either take a scraping or a culture to see what exactly is going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Firstly, thank you both so much for replying so quickly to my post.

I have had Ben for 3 weeks now. He wasn't in the best of shape when I got him. His foster mother (although well intentioned) had too many animals to care for properly and like I said, Ben had fleas. Sadly, he is an all white cat and was not meant to be allowed to go outside (as his chance for skincancer is increased) however his FM let him come and go as he pleased. He WAS fed out of plastic dishes there and they were often used to feed both the other dogs and other cats. Also, he was on a RAW diet at the time and I've read that the bacteria buildup is greater with this.

I'm already planning on going out to fetch some hydrogen peroxide tomorrow to start a chin-cleaning regimine. What do you recommend? Obviously dilute the HP and wipe the chin or pick out the "dirt"? Also, should I do it more than once a day?

Thank you again for all your help, I'm a little new at this!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:34 PM

I was told not to use hydrogen peroxide. My cat had acne too and I used something called Hibiclens. It was recommended by a very knowledgeable forum member and it worked well. You can get it at the drug store. I had to ask the pharmacist for it. IF it doesn't work then I would recommend seeing a vet. I would be reluctant to keep scrubbing the scab off. It is probably irritating it a bit.

I am sure in time if you keep using stainless steel the problem will clear up on its own. The previous owner was probably using plastic dishes. That was the case with my Lily.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

Twice daily washing with a solution of warm water and a chlorhexadine antibacterial soap like Hibiclens will take care of mild cases of feline acne within a week or two. Make sure the area is well-saturated...this often takes repeated applications for five to ten minutes, and then rinse thoroughly with warm water. If this doesn't work, then you need to see a vet for a systemic medication. And ditto on the advice about food bowls.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could get a clear picture of Ben's chin as I'm not sure that it is what you all are explaining. If I had to say, I'd say there were hundreds of these little black scab-like things. I don't see any attached to the skin, mainly in the hair. Although I don't know if I'm doing that because I'm playing with it. When you look at his chin from afar, it looks pretty much normal however, the white fur looks dingey. There is a greater number of the black dirt near his lips on the sides of his mouth. Also, there is not much on the middle of the neck/chin.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so very much for the link. It's difficult to tell, actually. Ben's chin is DEF. not half as bad as those kitties. Really, unless you looked at his chin close up and spread the fur, you wouldn't be able to tell. I'm hoping that this means it is just a mild case and the antibacterial soap will help him. About how long should I give it to work before I bring him to the vet? If I can solve this problem at home, I would much prefer it as a quick vet visit is going to cost so much!

Thanks for everyone's help thus far!

Also, would DIAL antibacterial soap be ok to use?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben'sMum
Also, would DIAL antibacterial soap be ok to use?
No. Look for chlorhexadine as the active ingredient - in liquid form for easy dilution. You should see improvement within in week, if it's going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page