Please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Please help!

Hi all, just new to the site, but i have a problem with my nearly 3 month old kitten.

Not eating last couple of days. Started him on Lams dry food, then started changing and bring in more variety. Even gave him chicken livers and raw chicken. Last two days he is not wanting food. Have i have him too much too soon, or should i just give him the dry food instead and not worry about variety. Want to do the right thing with him. He is my beautiful Snow, all white kitty. Woud appreciate help. i tend to worry that i am doing the right thing. [/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Cool Cat

At 3 months you may want to get a Vet's help to make sure something else isn't wrong with him.

I have a very special white cat too, farm girl, 7 yrs, got her at 3 months, baby teeth were just starting to fall out then,

she mostly licks up the gravey when it comes to canned food and perfers dry food,

got bad diareah when switched to higher grade Natural Balance and Chicken Soup dry foods,

but slowly she got adjusted, were trying a Maximun Nutrition Indoor formula, chicken is 1st ingredient,

But you have a kitten yet and may have to wet some kitten food for him to make it easier to eat,

heck, go buy a bunch of different kinds, and what he don't like feed to the birds, try cat/kitten milk too.

but remember if he hasn't ate for 2 days and he's only 3 months you'd better get something going quick,

tommorow would be day 3 and seeing a Vet better be on the agenda for the little fella.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Kitten

Re: Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesup
Not eating last couple of days. Started him on Lams dry food, then started changing and bring in more variety. Even gave him chicken livers and raw chicken.
Wet food is healthier than dry, so try to get him to eat wet food.
However since he hasn't eaten in the past few days he needs to see a vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM

I agree that after two days of not eating you should talk to a vet pronto but I would also say you may be giving too much variety too fast. While I'm for some variety and definitely an advocate for canned food, most cats want a slower change. Even at 3 months they can start getting set in their ways and certain things they just may not like. My Marcellus has never eaten just meat, won't touch it for nothing, even when a kitten. He is very cautious with new foods and it generally takes a little time. He has been this way since a little kitten. I would introduce a new food slowly, adding a little at a time to the food your kitten is used too, until he likes it or it is decided he definitely won't eat it. Then you could try another and then rotate as he gets used to different things. Variety is good but they don't need tons of variety either. This is different for each cat. And, some cats are just plain pickier than others. We rotate between several brands of canned food but sticking with the poultry flavors and we will rotate some with the dry but we only do that change once in awhile. I only change that every few months, just enough so they don't get totally addicted to one brand, just in case they need a special food sometime. I will once in awhile give them cooked chicken or turkey and giblets, they won't touch the raw. So basically, some variety is good but it sounds like you just may need to take it a little slower. Hope your kitty is ok. Let us know. Have you tried just giving him his Iams, just to see if it's the changes in food? If he doesn't eat what he's used to, then definitely you need to take him to the vet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Cool Cat

How is your kitten?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies. Well, his eating has come back to normal and he is bouncing around everywhere. I didn't go to the vet. I wanted to observe myself. and gain some knowledge of cat's behaviour which i did via the net. I think he just went off his food because i tried too much variety too soon. He was also sneezing, but that has stopped and he seems quite ok. He's a happy chappy!!! and me too
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Cool Cat

Good to hear that, kittens are so much fun to have around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page