does anya have worms? i need to know what to look for.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

does anya have worms? i need to know what to look for....

heyyy. so i have a question.
just now, about 5 minutes ago actually, my cat anya (about 9 months old...dewormed, has all her vaccines, and is spayed) was walking in front of me and i noticed a little white thing hanging from the hair around her bum. it looked like two pieces of pasta stuck together, or two pieces of rice stuck together... and it wiggled a little bit (at least i thought i saw it move!)
now, she's never left the house aside from going to the vet (which was months ago, even)... and we've looked through all of our litter boxes and found absolutely nothing, so im wondering what it could be?
i'm assuming it's worms... but maybe she just ate something funny and passed it? i dont know... i would just like some advice from other people who at least know ANYTHING about worms at all.
i'm going to give my vet a call tomorrow, but for now - advice please
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Cool Cat

do a search, I think it has come up a couple of times.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like tapeworms to me. They look like little pieces of rice or sesame seeds when they are dried up. The most common tapeworms are from injesting fleas. Yuck! And, yes, even indoor cats can get fleas. You can bring them in on your shoe. Even if you haven't seen a flea, where there are tapeworms there are fleas!
I would have the vet run a fecal sample to make sure. Then treat your cat for fleas and tapeworms with Advantage or Frontline and a prescription dewormer from your vet. OTC products tend to be less affective and can be dangerous (even deadly) to cats.
Don't worry, we've all been there My indoor cats live on the 4th floor and have still gotten them a couple of times. Good luck!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

about the fleas... i've honestly looked EVERYWHERE and haven't seen a single flea, or even signs of fleas... and believe me, haha, i've dealt with fleas before! i'm just wondering if maybe she's had worms all along, since i got her (i got her from a privately run rescue shelter), and i just haven't noticed... hm...

but the thing is, she's a heavier cat... she's the biggest of the 3 of my monsters! and she seems COMPLETELY the same as she always has been. absolutely nothing has changed about her whatsoever. not her eating habits, not her litter habits, not her playing habits... nada.

also, since she (probably) has worms... is it highly likely that my other 2 will be infected as well? haha im worrying about the vet bill... eek.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Premier Cat

I suppose it's possible she came with them and if so they could not have been passed on to your other cats. But, if it were me, I'd treat them all with Advantage to be sure. You have to buy a whole pack anyway and those little stinkers (fleas, that is) can be so darn sneaky!
As far as symptoms, if a cat is healthy like yours, I believe they can go on indefinitely with tapeworms. Obviously, it's not good for them and who wants those little segments all over their house? Or, to feel a cold wet thing on your arm one day when your kitty cuddles up with you, and look down to find a tapeworm on it!!! That was my first experience with them. Shudders!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page