Do you cook or feed raw meat to your cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Do you cook or feed raw meat to your cat?

I'm very interested in what people, who cook or feed raw meat, actually give to their cat. One of my cats has diarrhoea since I have him from the shelter. I've started with giving him (and the other one too) one meal of raw meat a day. The meat I give is a commercially brand, because I'm insecure about putting together a recipe. But I want to do that in the future.

So all experience is welcome. And "m also interested in negative experiences, if there are any (I can learn a lot from them too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 AM

I've always been intrigued by the raw diet for cats. I don't think I would do that exclusively though. Anyway, I do give 3 of my cats cooked meat for a treat now and then and they like it, but not a whole meal of it. Marcellus won't touch it. I tried some raw meat fromt the Petstore but they really weren't interested. A couple of them just licked it. I supposed if I tried harder they may come to like it. I'm pretty happy with what we do now so I don't really see myself pursuing the raw meat diet.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Cat Addict

I used to make my own recipes of raw meat but it was too difficult for me. I normally by them frozen raw meat which has already everything they need (muscle, organs, etc). It took time for them to get used it it was worth it.

Right now I feed them probably 50% canned and 50% raw meat but it changes based on what I have at home.

Sometimes I give them raw chicken wings as treat. They really like them!

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned

I grind up some chicken wings or necks once a week or so and give that to them. The reason I grind them is because Mellie won't eat it "straight"

I'd like to do it daily, but with the price of chicken these days, plus the time and effort with the grinder....those things aren't easy to clean!! There's only one store in town that has chicken necks and then only once in a while.

But I think even the little bit they get is a good supplement. Fresh, natural food is always better than canned.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I feed raw, the kitties get a pre-made raw mix in a variety of meats (I rotate through beef, turkey, duck, rabbit, chicken and quail). They also get one or two "bone" meal a week (either chicken necks, wings or quail). I may have to work around this though, because Buddy is an EXTREMLEY fast eater, which is bad when he's eating meat on bone and tries to swallow pieces that are too large... multiple times

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:39 AM

Denzel eats one meal a day of raw cubed kangaroo meat and he loves it. The rest of the day he has dry food, he doesn't like canned food, but loves raw meat.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:52 AM

I give my begal, Dash raw chicken and or beef as a treat when we're having that for dinner. He loves it!!!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Cooked meat is lacking essential nutrients and needs to be supplemented if it is used as the primary source of nutrition. Raw meat needs to be handled carefully due to parasites and bacteria. Once in a while I give my cats a bit of cooked poultry, like maybe one tablespoon, as a treat.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Jon

Every now and again I give my cat cooked meat whether it be turkey on thanksgiving or a little bit of bacon from breakfast. Only as a treat though.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 PM

I give my cat raw shrimp and chicken as treats when I have it on hand. Usually, she gets freeze-dried shrimp as treats. I'd love to feed her a raw diet, but I have far more research to do on that before I am comfortable doing it. For now, she mainly gets wet food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page