Really confused as to when and what (wet or dry) to feed.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Really confused as to when and what (wet or dry) to feed....

I have done some searching around the forums and I can't seem to find a straight answer.

I've been free freeding my cats (9 and 11 months) dry food, and sometimes I give them half of a can of wet food to share in the morning. It looks like people limit the amount of food they feed though? Should they not be free-fed? And how much wet food is enough?

Basically - I guess I'm just looking for a "standard" feeding schedule.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Premier Cat

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any "standard" way to feed your cats. We all just do what we think is best for our cats and what works for our households.
The best advice I can offer is to educate yourself as much as you can on feline nutrition and make your there.
Personally, I feed mine 3x a day. They get almost exclusively wet because I think it's healthier (1. they're male cats and could be more prone to crystals so I want to make sure they get enough moisture in their diet. 2. It's less processed than dry. 3. dry tends to have too many carbs and grains) They get fed in the am when I get up, again at dinner time and then a snack before bedtime. I leave the food down for about 1/2 or so and they can eat as much as they want at each meal. A few times a week they get dry food for their bedtime snack (I want them to be used to it so if I go away they can have it)
That's our "standard" routine. Hope it helps!

Victoria
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:13 AM

I agree. There is a lot of information, and it is overwhelming I know. I think the thing to do, as just stated, is read all you can, get a nice overview, and then make the choice that best fits your cat and family. I have 4 males, and I too, want to give them canned, I do give them dry as well. I do have scheduled feedings and limited amounts but that is because two of mine are prone to become overweight. A lot really depends upon your cats needs. The one thing I do think is extremely important, no matter what or when you feed (dry, wet or both) is to give them high quality cat food. That, I do beleive, is very important. Athough it is more expensive, I think in the long run, it is cheaper as you don't have to feed as much and you will have a healthier cat. High quality food is just so much better for them. There are many good brands and that, again depends upon the cat and owner. Do what works best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 AM

There really isn't a standard. People have their own ideas as to what they feel is best and what works best for them. Personally I free feed alllll of mine their dry food and give them their wet food at night. That works for *us*. For some people no dry and wet only works, for others scheduled feedings of both dry and wet works, etc. So, really it all depends on what works for you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxnKats
There really isn't a standard. People have their own ideas as to what they feel is best and what works best for them. Personally I free feed alllll of mine their dry food and give them their wet food at night. That works for *us*. For some people no dry and wet only works, for others scheduled feedings of both dry and wet works, etc. So, really it all depends on what works for you.
I agree totally....and don't be afraid to make changes as their food needs change (if you make changes to feeding, do it gradually). I used to free feed dry food, with wet found in the mornings when I got home. I had to go to scheduled feedings on wet AND dry food when Trace came to live with us....he LOVES his food, and will eat whatever is around. And being overweight can be a real issue for a 3 legged cat, I don't know how much back one hind leg can pack around
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Neither of mine have "abused" the dry free-feeding, so I suppose I will stick with that. They aren't showing any signs of weight gain or anything either. I was feeding them canned food in the morning, but then I stopped for some reason. I think I will start up again and do it at night. How much is good to feed if I only do it once a day? Is 1/2 of a 5.5oz can each too much?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:58 PM

No, it's not too much if they eat it all. Canned food is not as concentrated as dry food and therefore you can feed generous amounts of it without having to worry too much about calories. Dry food tends to be more fattening. But I have found that if I put down a large portion of wet food out for my cats they won't eat it all and then it dries up and ends up down the garbage disposal and I don't like to waste food. So I just put down a quarter of a 6 ounce can or 1/2 a 3 ounce can per cat at each wet food meal time. I give them wet food twice a day, morning and evening and leave the dry food out for them to nibble and in the evening I sprinkle freeze dried meat treats in their dry food as a snack before bed. You see there is no clear cut rule to feeding your cats. Your cats will let you know what they like to eat and how they like to eat and how much they like to eat and the important thing is that your cats are eating and if they're not getting enough to eat, they sure will let you know, maybe they'll act like it even when they are getting enough. And if your cats are overweight their pudginess will show and then you'll need to reduce the portions. You'll find that different cat owners feed their cats differently, you'll find the free feeders, the dry food feeders, the canned food feeders, the ones who feed both dry and wet, the twice daily scheduled feeders, and the ones who are home often enough to feed them 3 or 4 times a day and spoil em with special meals feeders, and the homemade diet feeders, it goes on and on. Each cat is different. Like people, some need to eat more and some need to eat less. Just feed a high quality nutritionally complete diet to your cats(that means do not feed an all meat or fish diet or one that is not balanced) and let your gut instinct and your boss (the cat) be your guide.

I was in a coffee shop and I saw a teacup for sale that I really liked. It said, "You are not the boss of me. My cat is." I totally agree. Isn't it interesting how we don't mind our cats bossing us around but if people do it we get angry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page