Best way to give cat pills - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Best way to give cat pills

Murphy was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism back in November of '05. He's been on Methimazole since then, and my Vet and I are still trying to figure out the proper amount of dosage to lower the amount of toxins being released into his system. The norm IIRC, is 1.3 - 3.9 or something around that. Murph's first visit was 4.8 after a week or so of being on the meds; second time was down to 3.7; and then yesterday he went back up to 4.4. In anycase, the Vet decided to bump up his dosage to 6.25 mg in the morning and 6.25 mg at night (One pill and a quarter each time).

I hate having to jam the pills into the poor guy's mouth - it's usually a quick process, but on a couple of occasions, I have found the pill later on on the floor or on his pillow. Perhaps the pill winded up under his tongue or whatever. I've tried mixing it into his canned food in the evening, but sometimes he works his way around it. The Vet also mentioned other types of Methimazole (liquid and the kind you rub on the ear). I'd rather not go that route as I'm assuming it'll be more $$$ to attain those types.

I'm curious to see what other cat lovers do to get their little ones to take the meds they need. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Cat Addict

Sky Eyes Woman recommended Pill Pockets treats on another tread...
she says her cat just loves them... i copied a link, i hope it works...

Good luck...

http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Anytime I've had to give the kitties pills, they get crushed up between two spoons and mixed in with food. (If I don't think they're going to finish all their food, I mix it in with only a teaspoon, let them finish that and THEN give them the rest of their meal).

Good luck!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

Pill pockets or the Pill Popper, available at pet stores. Coat the pill with butter before putting it in the mouth. And give the cat a squirt of water in the mouth right after sticking the pill in, so he's forced to swallow.

Hopefully one of the options mentioned in this thread will work for you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar
Anytime I've had to give the kitties pills, they get crushed up between two spoons and mixed in with food. (If I don't think they're going to finish all their food, I mix it in with only a teaspoon, let them finish that and THEN give them the rest of their meal).

Good luck!
That's what i do too...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Wow - some great info!!! Thanks so much y'all
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Cool Cat

our dose is 1/2 tablet of Methimazole, so it's pretty small,

I just tilt her head back with one hand, same hand at the corners of mouth to coax jaw open,

drop the pill into the back of the throat,

keeping the mouth open a litle extra to be sure it gets swallowed.

She can flick them forward on her tongue to spit them out,

or sometimes just get caught between teeth and gums when I though she had swallowed it, only to find a partially desovled tablet later.

when I had to give the difficult one capsules, I found I had to wet them for them to slide down her mouth without gaging her, so the butter trick is probally good too.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58
Quote:

Good luck!
That's what i do too...
Be very carefull when doing this. I'm not sure about thyroid meds but some pills are designed with a coating that allows them to be slowly absorbed, by crushing the pill you loose that effect and the results can be dangerous. In general crushing pills is not recommended.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Great additional info - thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58
Quote:

Good luck!
That's what i do too...
Be very carefull when doing this. I'm not sure about thyroid meds but some pills are designed with a coating that allows them to be slowly absorbed, by crushing the pill you loose that effect and the results can be dangerous. In general crushing pills is not recommended.
Hmm, I didn't know this! Thanks! I'll be sure to check with the vet before doing this with any meds in the future

<--Julia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page