New Sheba brand food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

New Sheba brand food?

Apparently our store is going to be part of a test run of a new Sheba cat food. We just got it in today, it is radically different from the usual Sheba. It is in new 2.8oz can-like metal bowls and get this: it has only 4 to 5 ingredients. For example, the chicken cat food ingredient list is water, chicken breast, tapioca starch and guar gum. That's it. No by-products, no additives, no supplements. The container specifies that is is a 'complimentary food' only, which I guess means it is to be considered a treat, not a staple. I will be sure to mention that to customers who had fed the original Sheba as a big part of their cat's diet. What do you guys think of this new development? I know you won't be able to test it out for yourselves yet unless you're in an area where it's being sold now, but what do you think of the ingredients? There is no information on Sheba's website about it, so I can't get more details about the quality of the meat and fish in this new food. Do you think this is a step in the right direction for a pet food company, or is it something that might lead to health problems for cats, a 'treat' food being packaged and marketed like a staple wet food?

I will be buying some on Friday when I get paid, so I can post pics of the containers and labels, and the food itself. It's pretty pricey for a small can of cat food: 99 cents for 2.8oz! And only to be fed as a treat? I think I might even conduct a 'feeding test' with my own cats on Friday, to see how they like it. Stay tuned...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

When they say it's a "complimentary" food what they're really telling you is that it's not nutritionally complete for a cat, and so it's not to be fed as the sole, or even the primary, food.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

True...I'm just wondering what they are wanting to create here, a higher grade 'treat', or maybe they will go on to make a better quality staple canned food if the new Sheba sells a lot? I'm really worried that regular buyers of the old Sheba will consider it a staple food like they did before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Probably wanting to create multiple-course cat meals so they can sell more cat food.

My cats get two courses: half wet and half dry. Then before bedtime they get their dessert. But coffee and cognac, well.....they have to skip that.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Eyes Woman
True...I'm just wondering what they are wanting to create here, a higher grade 'treat', or maybe they will go on to make a better quality staple canned food if the new Sheba sells a lot? I'm really worried that regular buyers of the old Sheba will consider it a staple food like they did before.
Wysong has such complimentary food also. I wouldn't be worried. A lot of people oversupplement their babies with multivitamins anyway.

I think it would be a nice treat. It is certainly priced as a treat. At such prices I wouldn't worry about people feeding it as a regular meal.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
At such prices I wouldn't worry about people feeding it as a regular meal.
Heh. You got that right! When I went in this morning, not ONE container sold. I didn't have anyone come through my register that bought one and neither did my husband. He told me one lady said she wasn't buying anything else at our store until we got the old Sheba back! Day 2 of the test isn't going so well.

I know what will happen when I get some of it on Friday. Dude will bolt it down, he eats anything.* Kit N. will eat some of it and I'm not sure about the DustBunny.

*"Anything" includes the little oxygen absorber packet that comes with beef jerky. We came home Monday to find he chewed up an empty jerky bag he pulled out of the trash, and the torn up packet that says "Do Not Eat". I called my vet and asked her what to do, she said give him 1 tsp. of peroxide and wait 15 minutes. If he didn't throw up, do it again. Well, he didn't throw up. At all.

I'm wondering if he's half billy goat or something. He has eaten many, many strange and gross things and never thrown up.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:38 PM

Hey, just wondering; is this the food?

If it is, then my cats love it. I mix it under their raw meat, because trey're not fully used to that.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

The very same! What language is that on the lid? Where did you get that, and has it been sold in your area for long? Is it popular?

Edit: I guess I need to look at your info on your post, duhhh!!! How long has that been available in Belgium?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and if you could post the ingredient list in it's entirety I would love to see it. It's ok if it's not translated. I'm just wondering why there is so much more stuff printed on your lid, in English it doesn't have much on it at all.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

It might be the same thing in several languages. Doesn't Belgium have something like seven different languages groups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page