Greenies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Greenies

Any information on Greenies for cats? My cat loves them. Also, does anyone give their cat, cat grass to eat? I got some from the pet store and he loved it too. I heard on the news preview that greenies are bad for dogs. Didn't get to watch and see why. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM

I would be curious to hear why the Greenies are bad for dogs. We had given some to our dog and we noticed he often threw them up. I was thinking he just didn't chew them well enough and dogs sometimes tend to barf if they "wolf" thing things down. We no longer give them to him. I've given my cats the cat greenies but I only used up the samples we had gotten and didn't purchase any as they just swallowed them which defeats the purpose of being good for their teeth. Two of my cats absolutely love kitty grass. Wallace craves it, especially in the summer when the grass is green outside. I let him have that as it is pesticide free. I bring a bunch of it and he just is ecstatic! He loves it so much.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:28 PM

Oops! I just read your post again and see that you didn't hear why the Greenies were bad for dogs. I'll see if I can find out online somewhere, unless someone else knows why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you for the info. I would be curious to know why they are bad for dogs. I will have to buy more grass for my guy. He really loves it too. I just want to make sure I do the right things for him. I adopted him in Oct. He was a hurricane Katrina kitten survivor and I adopted him through a humane society that was helping Pasada with the animals. He legally wasn't mine untill Dec. 31 just in case the owners showed up. He is mine now! I have never had a cat before and believe me, he sure is spoiled!!!!!

Thanks!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:22 PM

I asked my vet about the greenies for cats and he said they are good for their teeth as long as they chew them. If they are swallowing them without chewing them skip them. At first my cat was so excited about them she inhaled the first couple but now she chews them. She loves them. I do give her the CET cat dental chews also. With Greenies for dogs, some smaller dogs were having problems with them (this is what I saw posted, didn't see any article) and some dogs can choke on them if too big a piece goes down. I'm sure others will know more. I don't have a dog but have 2 granddogs. I was talking to an owner of a dog store and he said the problem is owners give their dogs greenies too often. It should be only once or twice a week. Some are giving them once or more a day.

Congrats on saving one of the katrina survivors zippy96444 ! Very good of you.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for all of your replies. I will have to watch my guy when I give him the greenies. When the bag is gone, I won't buy anymore for him. don't want nothing to happen. He survived one catastrophe, don't need another.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Banned

There's been some quite highly spirited discussion on this topic here and there on the internet. Greenies for dogs HAVE been implicated in intestinal obstruction. The reason being that the dog swallows them whole or in large chunks and they don't digest properly. Some folks have concluded that therefore the feline Greenies also have a problem. But there hasn't been any conclusive proof that ot that. And if you look at dog Greenies and cat Greenies it's pretty easy to see that they're completely different.

My own conclusion from all the evidence so far is that there isn't any danger with Feline Greenies. My only beef with them is that they're too expensive.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I'm with Tim on this one... The feline and canine greenies are COMPLETLEY different in formulation. And I'm of the mind that the fiasco over the canine greenies is being blown WAY out of proportion. Yes, they are something that should be monitored and care should be taken when giving a dog a Greenie to ensure that it's the appropriate size and that they're chewing properly. In my mind, it's no different than giving your dog a rawhide. There is nothing you can put in your dogs mouth (including kibble) that is 100% safe and guaranteed that if you walk away they'll be okay when you come back. IMO, feline greenies are nothing to be seriously concerned with.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:27 PM

I have had bad experiences with the greenies for my dog, but not for my cat.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Tom Cat

Feline Greenies Liver Flavor Cat Treats
3 oz.
SKU: 627410
chicken meal, ground rice, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, oat fiber, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid) poultry digest (source of natural liver flavor), brewers dried yeast, ground flaxseed, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, and Vitamin E, biotin, niacin, D-calcium, pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione, sodium bisulfite, taurine, chlorophyll, natural flavors, and rosemary extract.

Poultry digest is a palatability enhancer made by reducing (cooking down) meat and fat into concentrated liquid or dry product. Poultry digest can be made from any fowl (turkey, geese, buzzards, etc.) This is an inconsistent ingredient which can contain unpredictable birds unsuitable for human consumption.

Yuk, I will never feed my cats this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page