problems with my cat's anal sacs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

problems with my cat's anal sacs

My 9 month old kitten's anal sacs don't empty when he goes to the bathroom. BUT, they will empty when he is sleeping in my bed right beside me! PHEW!!!! I take him to the vet every 1 to 2 weeks to get them expressed, but I know I shouldn't have to do that. The vet said he is fine, that maybe I need to add bulk to his diet and give him canned pumpkin, that should bulk up his poo. Needless to say, he had a bad one last night around 4 am. I sure don't like getting up and having to change sheets, so I just rolled over and went back to sleep. Yuck, you are thinking, but ...... they are washed now though! I feel bad for him, but more for myself! Ha! Has anyone ever had that problem? This has been going on since I adopted him 5 months ago. He was a hurricane Katrina survivor and was rescued and held by Pasada. He is so special and perfect except for this. His name is Mango and he is a tabby and I call him Butt Boy when this happens. I have changed his diet and added pumpkin, which he loves. But it has only been a week. HELP!!!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Cool Cat

Well, I can't give much advice on a cure,

but would like to suggest a very large pet carrier for him to sleep in at night,

you could keep it by your bed, and let him out in the morning.

Pookie sprayed that stuff on the counter once, I had tap her but with the newspaper to get off the counter,

now she has a command of 'down, down', and I don't dare do that again,

good luck, you'll have to let us know what you learn and all.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

Other people who've had this problem have learned to express their cats' anal glands themselves. So you can do it at home preemptively.

More fiber in the diet to bulk up the bowel movements is a good idea. I doubt the canned pumpkin is going to be enough. You might also try adding crushed bran flakes. But not if he's allergic to wheat. Then you can try unflavored Metamucil or store-brand equivalent. Try the bran first because Metamucil is expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 06:24 AM

One of my cats had TERRIBLE anal glands when she was a kitten. I didn't have to take her to the vet quite as often as you, but it was about once per month or so. And she was ALWAYS smelly. I don't know what changed but it got better and better as she got older. Now I only take her about 2-3 times per year. Sorry not to be of more help, but maybe your kitty will get better as he gets older too!

P.S. I think it's really wonderful that you've taken in a Katrina kitty.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you for your help. I hope he out grows it. It is SO horrible smelling!!! I noticed this morning that after he used his liter box, he smelled, so his glands must be emptying some what. I am so glad that I was part of the katrina animal rescues adoption. I have a friend making me a very neat scrap book. They had named him Filmore because he was found on Filmore Ave. in New Orleans. One street from Lake Ponchatrain. I did a lot of investigating on where he was found. I did mapquest, a satelite view of the area before and after the hurricane. The approximate location of where he could of been found on Filmore Ave, and where the levies that broke were located to see if they could of been near him. All the houses in the Parish where he was found were flooded up to the roof tops. He was just about 8-12 weeks old. I just can't imagine how the poor guy survived. He was starved and dehydrated when they found him. Also very muddy and dirty. He is a tabby with orange eyes and very beautiful markings. That is why we chose him. His name is Mango.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Mango is one lucky kitty! And a beautiful one too!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I have tried to do it myself, but I have no clue on how to and I don't want to hurt him. The vet is 2 min. from my house and for 75$ a year, it is unlimited butt squeezes ! I just hope changing his diet works or he outgrows it. Thanks for all of the advice
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, last night was a bad night. Mango's anal sacs expressed themselves on our bed at around 4 am. I know it was suggested that we put him in a carrier, but he always sleeps with us part of the night. I don't have the heart to do it. Well, it was a lot and really smelled bad. It smelled a little different, so I think there might be an infection. I just put all of the sheets and blankets and pillows in the washer and am getting ready to go to the vet. I guess I will just have to take him every 2 weeks to get them expressed before this happens. It is not very fun laying in smelly butt fluid all night! Too lazy to change sheets at 4 am. YUCK!!!!
The only good thing is he doesn't mind going to the vet. He never is panicky or anythng. If there are no other animals around, I take him out of the carrier in the waiting room. He loves to explore the exam room and just loves for the vet to look in his ears and listen to his heart. The last time he was falling asleep. Such a good boy!! I just bring the carrier up from the basement and he goes right in and after the vet visit, he knows to get back in. He is so laid back!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 PM

Thomas has little drops around his butt and my nephew pointed out his butt looks black i needed to clean him. So then last night he was in my lap and i lifted his tail to look and some dripped on my pants. Man hits a bad smell and nothing seems to cover it.

After i lifted his tail he was turning and hiding his butt. trying to keep me away from it so i couldnt look.

Again tonight i looked at it and it did the same thing so i got out some toilet paper and tried to wipe him up but it seems to drip back out. It looks brown, like brown water. Its like little round drops in a circle.

I have noticed latley hees been eating grass and chewing on the bushes in front of our house. I think that gave him the runs? I seen him do it just last weekend. He also chews the bark on his scratching tree.

Ive seen it before but it looked dry, didnt think much of it. He sits alot in the dirt and in the driveway.

Could it be a scent to use as a defence? its the time of year animals are out on the prowl and he is a mad hunter. He killed a squral and a little snake hes always trying to get birds and anything that moves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page