Worms and bald spot on ear related?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Worms and bald spot on ear related??

I was cleaning out the poo in Ozzy's litter box last night like normal, when I saw a "thing" hanging out from a piece of it. I pulled it out, and out came a 2 inch, clear pointed at both ends, what I'm pretty sure is a worm. ICK! He is 7 months old and was de-wormed when I first had him at 7 weeks, but looks like it didn't get rid of it. Great. I also notied a balding spot on his left ear. I had origional dismissed it because it started out with a scratch and figured that he just cought his ear in something. He is a crazy kitten, so this is possible. But now the scratch is healed, but the balding spot is still there and I think it's getting worse. I am taking him in for the worm, and will have the vet check his ear too, but was wondering if anyone knows if this could be related.

I was going to take him in right away today, but it would figure that we are in a major blizzard right now, so I will have to wait until tomorrow. I really wanted to get him in today too.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:40 PM

Good idea to take him again to be dewormed.
When they are little (or we first get our kitties) the deworming process is performed several times. As adults, the vet usually does a fecal exam once a year to check the status and gives deworming medicine accordingly.

Is the bald spot round? If it is then your kitty might be dealing with ringworm. Ringworm is a fungus not a worm.
But don't worry about it until your vet says so. I am sure he will give you a lot of tips on how to handle it. If you should need extra help you will find a lot of support here as well, since a lot of our members have had to deal with ringworm in their kitties.
Best wishes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

Mellie developed bald spots on her ears. The vet did a ringworm culture which was negative. We never did find out what it was and after a couple weeks they started to get better on their own. Some other possible causes of localized hair loss: mange, staph infection, repeated trauma (eg frequent scratching).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I ended up called my vet but he was out yesterday, but they told me to bring in the worm I found, and the on call vet confirmed it was hookworms. Fun things kittens are born with. So they just sent me home with medicine for him that covers hookworms, and all others...just to make sure. Then I changed his box, scrubbed it down with a tad of bleach (don't worry, I rinsed it good ) and just put a small layer of litter down, and will change it every day for a week....just to make sure. I haven't found anymore worms yet, but from what I understand, the medicine dislodges the worms, and he should digest most of them. Ok, ewwwwww!

Anyway, I asked about his ear too, and they said to just keep an eye on it for now. I don't see a ring either. I tried to look to see if it could be ear mites...but I just can't tell. Do you think it would be alright if I used some cat ear cleaner too see if that would help him??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Good deal!
Do you see a lot of black discharge in his ears? If you do, then your vet can give you a solution, dr. Jeanne named it but I forgot for now, so you can buy it over the counter. You put a couple of drops in his ear, close the ear and wait a little - that will make the dirt come out easier. Clean it with cotton balls and q tips afterwards; BUT with the q tips don't go deeper than you can see!
But if he does have a lot of dark discharge - he might be dealing with with ear mites and the vet may have to treat it separately.
The way you had described "the rash" it didn't seem that it might be caused by ear mites though. Where exactly is it located? On the outside of the ear with a patch of fur missing? Or down, towards the eye, coming from the inside of the ear?
I am glad you had the main problem delt with
Keep us posted!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I don't see any black discharge. He does have black ears, but he's a black cat that won't sit still long enough for me too look really deep in his ears. It's on the whole backside of his ear, and I have seen him scratch it, so who knows. Like I said it started off looking like he cought his ear in something. There was one deep scratch. I cleaned it with peroxide and it healed.

Ok, he just jumped up in my lap and he let me look in his ears for once. He does have what looks like black wax.......? <sigh> If it's not one thing, it's another. OH well, I'll put up with whatever 'cause I wuv him!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:08 PM

I know it , and what's not to wuv .
I suppose that's him in your avatar - what a cutie
A little wax build up won't hurt him. Next time you go at the vet, they'll clean it for you. Or you can ask a friend to assist.
He'll still wuv you back afterwords, no worries, my cats forgive me quickly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I'll just mention it to the vet. And yep, that's my brat in my avitar. That's how he sits on me every time I'm on the computer! I keep telling him, "you're so lucky you're cute!"

Your babies are very adorible as well!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 PM

Why thank you very much!
They love compliments
Don't forget to let us know how your sweetie is doing.
Stick around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page