Ears/bridge of nose: really pink! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Ears/bridge of nose: really pink!

Hiya,

A stray cat found me this morning - his ears and nose are really pink, at first I wondered if it was frostbite but I guess that doesn't really make sense. I was hoping that someone on here would have ideas? Is there anything I can do about it? Is it possibly that it is allergies?

He is severely underweight, has a bad cold and is not neutered. In short, he's a mess. He probably only weighs about 5lbs... I wasn't sure he could handle a bath but he was beyond filthy so ended up going for it. He is tired but content.

We do have an appointment with my vet tomorrow evening but I can't really afford too much. I'm praying that the only thing I will have to worry about are vaccines and having him neutered - I can't afford anything serious! I hate that people can do this to innocent animals.

Also, I'd like to hear how old you think he might be?? I was thinking about 15 months but a few of my friends are thinking 6 months. In any case, I should probably get some kitten food for the extra colories, right???

Thanks for your help!!

Before the bath:

After the bath:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 PM

Hi Lissy,
You are so wonderful to take this kitty under your protective wing.
He is gorgeous. He looks like he's always belonged in your place too!
If the red spot had been located only on his nose, I would have said that the cold had provoked it. I have never seen the ears involved in the process of getting a rash-like patch from it though. Not that there couldn't be a possibility ot it.
The vet will give you an exact verdict, hopefully.
Aside from being starved and having the cold (that he'll get antibiotics for) I don't think there should be anything serious going on with him right now.
Congratulations on your new baby!
Any name for him yet?
Oh, yes he could be a little over a year. I just love the content look on his face : what an angel, and you as well!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 AM

Wow...looks like he made himself right at home with you!

It looks kind of like he has scatched all the hair off of his nose which could be allergies, maybe infection (if he's been outside and is a young non-neutered male it's likely that he'd get in a fight sooner or later and cat scratches/bites do tend to get infected easily), could be a burn, or it could be mild frostbite if the ends of his ears are also affected. You'll want to make sure to mention to the vet about his cold since sometimes it can be caused by a more serious immune system problem and unfortunately sometimes not-so-nice people abandon their animals when they get sick.

Another suggestion is to check for fleas (he probably does have them if he's been out a while) since they can contribute to allergic reactions (and hence itching all the hair off of a nose) and also to weakness and anemia in kittens. Bathing can help with this but a flea comb combined with advantage or frontline will get rid of them for good. Look for them especially at the base of the tail, around the ears and neck and chin.

And as for his ears, it could be that they are just dirty and need cleaned but it's likely he also has ear mites. I know this sounds like a lot, especially combined with being underweight but most of these things are pretty common with cats that haven't been taken care of and most are fairly easy to deal with and don't come back once treated. I suspect the vet will give you a topical antibiotic for the nose and solution (and maybe an antibiotic) for the ears, flea treatment, and suggest kitten food (but i'm not an expert). If you are really concerned about the cost try looking for a low-cost vet in your area or contact cat rescue organizations near you to see if they can help out.

Poor litte guy! But lucky to have found himself someone to take care of him in the end. Sure looks like he is appreciating the comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to say thank-you for the responses! I was hoping to keep this little kitty but my current dog and cat are already pretty expensive! I just don't have the money to neuter and vaccinate.

I did find a no-kill sanctuary for him and I will leave some money and cat items as a donation. At least this little guy has a chance at a finding his forever home! He is doing so much better after a few days of rest and food!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Tom Cat

It's so sad that you have to give him up. He's a beautiful little guy. You had him for just a few days, and look at what a huge difference you made. He now looks happy and healthy. He also looks so content and safe in your home. I know the two of you will miss each other. Let's just hope that he'll be adopted by someone who's as loving and caring as you are.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:39 PM

Oh, he is just BEAUTIFUL!
Too bad you cannot keep him, I hope he finds a wonderful home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page