Foods,water, household conditions and UTI's - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Foods,water, household conditions and UTI's

As another attempt to narrow down what I am possibly doing wrong with Gray (currently experiencing what I think his 2nd UTI in about 14-20 days...going to the Vet tomrrow because no-one will return my calls when dialing the "24 hour ER number). I want to list the foods I feed him and his brother.

They are appx 1.5 years old. Gray is 16.5 pounds, big and stocky with some tummy but cute and loaded with ATTITUDE! Bud is 12 pounds of lean muscle and explosive "mouser" energy. Both play hard, but wind down pretty quick too. Bud loves stuffed-toy mice and will bat them all over the place. Gray loves his old sock filled with catnip.

*Food types are for adult age cats unless specified *

Canned food has been 95% Nutro: Usually Chicken and Rice indoor formula, Turkey & Liver, Chicken & Liver, and Chicken & Lamb stew. Fed them Nutro for kittens when they were 1 year and younger. I have bought some Petco brand food that they like too. It was turkey and veggies I think. Label read pretty well.

They have also eaten Natural Balance canned foods. I did give them some tuna and shrimp types, but 75% of the time it was the Ultra formula, hairball managment, or Venison and Green Pea. They like it okay.

Based on the advice of the Vet who treated Gray's UTI about 2 weeks ago, I bought some canned Hills Science Diet. I hate it, but the lower ash content and lower magnesium was supposed to help prevent crystals, UTI, etc.

I also bought some Triumph canned cat food because it says no meat by-products. I've read the lable and it doesn't seem too bad really. Ash is quite low at 1.5% and magnesium at .0024%. Some of the Hills Science diet food has only .0021 magnesium, thus the purchase.

*Gray did get diarreah yesterday when I fed them a can of Triumph Beef & Salmon. I did not mean to buy this- feed it to them because the ash can cuase baldder problems I've read. After his case of diarreah yesterday is when he started crying and carrying on like the first go around with a UTI.*

Dry Food: Has been Natural Balance usually, and I hate to admit it but a brand from Walmart. I know, I know...I was not nice to them buying that. I regret it now but I was still learning then. According to the Vet, I bought a 20 pound bag of Hills Science diet C/D. They will eat it but I'd rather give them something better.

Waterer- I have had a Drinkwell up until 30 days ago, which worked fine but the plastic body broke and it leaked everywhere. I then bought a Petmate, which I wish I had not. It doesn't have the "splashing water effect" like the Drinkwell. I am buying them another Drinkwell this week. I also keep a large glass bowl of filtered water in the lving room for them to drink. They seem to drink from the bowl more than the PetMate.

* I have given my cats in-lin filtered water since moving into my house in early December 2005. Its not one of those filters you put on the sink, but an inline filter that's on the water line and has its seperate faucet for filtered water. The "kit" was $90 and the replacement filters are about $65 each.

Cat Litter- I think I've always used Tidy Cat 30 pound bags. I clean their pan with a wet-dry vac, sucking the dirty litter, etc. into throw away paper bags that line the inside of the wet-dry vac. Its very sanitary and the vacuum filters keep dust way down. I take their LARGE litterpan outside and wash with soapy water and rinse well. I usually add about 1 pound of baking soda to the new litter as well.

Other- I give them one full to 1 1/2 5cc syringe of PETROMALT for hairballs about 1 x per 7 days.

I do find it ironic that since their drinkwell fountain was broken, 2 bouts of apparent UTI have come about. I may buy 2 Drinkwells and replace the glass bowl and Petmate as well.

* If anyone wants a Petmate fountain with 2 filters, email me *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry to hear he's going through this again. I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions except cutting out ALL dry food and grains in the wet food. ( Hairball formula and indoor formulas tend to be chock full of them so I'd stay away). Also NO fish or seafood. Even adding some extra spring water to his food can help. He may need to be stricktly on C/D or S/D for a couple of weeks to help desolve any crystals. After that I would consult with a homeopathic vet to help avert another episode. If all that fails he may have a physiological issue that's causing them which would need further tests to find. X rays etc. But, I think, more than likely it's resolvable by the above.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Victoria
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Took him to the Vet tonight afterall...results on CAT CHAT area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page