No Sun for Squeakers - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

No Sun for Squeakers

My husband, Squeakers, and I are moving to NYC from Philly. We bought an apartment with Northern Exposure, so no more direct sunlight like we have now with Southern Exposure. Squeakers will be, as she always has been, a completely indoor kitty. It's a done deal, but I was starting to feel worried that she will for at least the next few years never get to bask in the sun! (My husband thinks I've lost it). I feel so bad for her! Do you think it might be deterimental to her health to not have any more direct sunlight? Any recommendations?
Also, we will have a small balcony. We will be on the 4th floor. Do you think it's safe to let her go out there? There is only a railing.
As if buying an apartment wasn't stressful enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned

I don't think there'll be any detrimental effect on her health. Cat food is well-supplemented. If anything, there's too much vitamin D in cat food. If she has a place where she can look outside, I'm sure she'll be happy. As for the balcony, YES it's dangerous to let her out there. Pets fall from balconies often enough that there's even a medical term for it: "High-Rise Syndrome." I suggest you either keep her off the balcony, or figure out some way of protecting her. Some people have built outdoor enclosures for cats that contain them on top and all sides. Maybe you could do that.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Tim. She'll be fine but I would NOT let her out on the balcony without completely enclosing it somehow. I enclosed mine with a very fine deer fencing that I got from a company called Gardener's Supply Company. I chose it 'cause it was the finest one I found and is almost invisable. But I have a top frame to my balcony so it mde it a little easier. You may be able to do a sort of lean to (sp?) affect sloping it up from the railing to the wall of the building. Anyway, just some ideas.
Enjoy NY! It's a great city.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page