Nursing home cat vomiting, losing weight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Nursing home cat vomiting, losing weight

Hi all. I need some advice about one of the cats that I help take care of at work.

We have two girls, who are almost 7 years old. One or both of them have vomited pretty regularly (about once a week) for the 18 months or so that I've known them. In the past it's seemed to be related to people giving them too many snacks, and it was mostly Twinkle, the beggar of the two, who would be seen vomiting.

For the last couple of weeks, we've been seeing vomit every day, sometimes more than once a day. I know some of that's still Twink, but my co-workers say they've been catching Molly vomitting now, and she seems a little thinner.

They were switched to Purina Chef's Blend food a couple of months ago (I'm not sure what they were on before, but I can find out if it's important), and Molly has been begging for treats more, recently. So has Twinkle, actually; they may not like the new food much. They have always been free-fed their dry food.

At any rate, something needs to be done. We'd rather not take the girls to the vet if this is something we can deal with on our own, but there's no way that Molly vomitting daily can be a good thing.

Thanks in advance,

-Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:37 PM

When one of my cats was vomiting on a regular basis, my vet immediately suspected thyroid. After blood tests, it was determined her thyroid was fine, but she had some elevated liver enzymes.
Your best bet is a trip to the vet for a blood panel.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Cool Cat

My cat was hyperthyroid and had dental problems, but once the problems were adressed all the vomiting went away completely.

I think at a certain limit you may be able to fix the problem, like a hair ball or change of food that caused the vomiting,

but at the stage you are at now, it's probally best to get them in for a senior check-up anyhow,

and as I read earlier, that when problems are allowed to linger it just ends up costing even more when you finally see a Vet.

I'm sure the budget there is probally not alot, and therefore maybe you can post for donations for the cat's or ask a local Church to help,

of course you'll have to present all the therapudec evidence of the cat's to get some on board, but if you could take in a regular amount you'll also be providing insurance for the next problem.

Good luck and God bless you and the cat's for all the folks ya'll help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Cool Cat

Do you give them Petromalt or Laxatone for hairballs at all?
If not, it could be something as simple as hair that they just can't get out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Cat Whisperer: That's exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. These guys don't get anything for hairballs. I'll see about finding one of those products. Thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 01:03 AM

Except for greenies or CET chews, my cat will vomit after any kind of cat treats. They just have always upset her stomach for some reason. So good to make sure people aren't feeding her extra snacks or people food that is upsetting Molly's stomach. The fact that she is looking thinner would worry me though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelshelper81
Cat Whisperer: That's exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. These guys don't get anything for hairballs. I'll see about finding one of those products. Thanks.
Any pet store will carry at least the Petromalt. Some pet stores carry Laxatone but that is usally found at vets more. Either will work. Hope that is what it is. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page