ARGH. Benny is peeing everywhere BUT the litter box! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

ARGH. Benny is peeing everywhere BUT the litter box!

Alright, I've read the "Solving Urine Problems" post but it still doesn't seem to help me.

My 7 month old UN-neutered male kitten (to be done at the end of the month) has recently decided he's taken a liking to peeing in my bedroom. MY stuff is okay, but he's peeing ALL over my boyfriend's things. He peed in our laundry basket on top of Matt's clothes, on a small pile of Matt's clothes on the floor, in Matt's clean laundry basket, and I've caught him trying to pee on the beanbag chair beside Matt's side of the bed. He still uses the litter box sometimes... but occasionally he just... doesn't!

What the heck would be causing him to do this?? And any ideas why it would ONLY be on my boyfriend's things??

He's the only cat who does it, too... my 2 girls both use the litterbox and have not once peed in the bedroom. We've resorted to closing the door 24/7, but I would still like any advice on why this might be happening.

I'm going to give my vet a call tomorrow, but money's tight until next week so nothing can be done in the meantime anyway... ugh.

Help would be graciously appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:14 PM

Many males will pee and/or spray outside the box if they are un-neutered, so that might be the problem. Or a UTI...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 PM

If he doesn't have an UTI - he is possibly smelling another female cat that is in heat. He is spraying around to make himself available.
I would seclude him to one area - bathroom (because it is easier to santitize) with fresh water, food, toys, and scratching post until you will have him neutered.
Have all the areas of your house thouroughly cleaned as described in the thread you have mentioned - so he doesn't smell the pee when he will be neutered and free to roam the house as usual.
Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Ioana. I would have him checked for a UTI (just in case) but more than likely he's spraying. Unfortunately it's one of the dangers of not having a male cat neutered in time. Once this behavior has started it can be difficult to stop. But definitely possible! That's why putting him in a confined area 'till he's done is a good idea. So he doesn't get into the habit of doing it everywhere. As far as doing it on your boyfriends clothing, he may be trying to let him know who the "top cat" is. "Yo, this is MY territory, buster!"
If it's possible I would have him neutered right away and not wait. Then, before he gets home, clean EVERYTHING and follow the "How I got rid of urine..." protocol. He' less likely to continue the behavior if there is absolutely no smell when he returns. And, remember, is sense of smell is WAY more accute than yours so you can't over do it.
Very best of luck! I hope the neutering solves the problem.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page