Expensive foods vs. inexpensive - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Expensive foods vs. inexpensive

Basically, the deal is - I can afford to pay a lot for dry food OR canned food, but not both. I'm wondering which is more important. I'm leaning towards feeding them Nutro for one of them. If I have to do Nutro dry and then something like Whiskas or Friskies for wet, is that terrible? Or vice versa - Whiskas dry and Nutro wet? Which would be best nutritionally? I leave dry food out all the time, and feed them each about 1/4 of a 5.5oz can in the evening. I just started doing this and it's really extended the use of the dry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
If you have to do either/or, I'd do Nutro dry with the cheaper canned. Whiskas dry food especially (as well as many other cheap dry foods) has chemical preservatives, many are known carcinogens. I'd steer clear of those most definatley!! Also since wet food is inheritantley better than dry, I can justify using a lower quality...

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Yeah, I agree, stay away from the cheap dry food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Same here. I buy Drs. Foster and Smith dry food and cheap store brand canned food. Dry food is definitely more important. Most of the wet foods I have seen are ground up chicken innards anyway, the difference between dry foods is a lot more dramatic.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Cat Addict

Agreed with the above... do higher-quality dry with lower-quality wet.

My girls really dig the Nutro dry.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure sometime I will be able to afford expensive food all around.

What can I get away with for the wet food? Are some "cheap" brands better than others? I have Whiskas right now, previously I did Fancy Feast, but I decided I wanted bigger cans.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
There are some varieties of Fancy Feast (a few of the fish ones I think) that do not have by-products...
I don't know where you live, but if you're in Canada at all, Presidents Choice makes a cat food called Nutrition 1st which isn't so bad, it's halfway decent, at the price of cheap food!

I find in general with the poor quality foods, there is quite the difference from flavour to flavour. Read the ingredients and do the best you can

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

I'm in Michigan. Close to Canada, but not quite

So when I look at labels I'm looking for whatever has the least by-products?

I know which Fancy Feast flavors you're talking about -- probably the seafood selects. I was so surprised to open them up and see whole pieces of fish and shrimp in it! It was sooo gross! But they loved it, of course
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
There is a brand called Hill Country Fare (HEB house brand) which I have found acceptable. It is really cheap (25 cents per 5.5 ounce can) and I have actually found it preferable to the regular brands because it doesn't have as much addictives.

Hill Country Fare also makes an excellent 50 cent per 2 liters COLA. It is actually the only kind of soda that I'll even tolerate. They also make an amazing $2 supreme pizza. If you have a HEB near you you should definitely check it out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:14 AM

I find....

Iams wet food is fairly good quality and isn't as expensive as say... nutro. I don't remember how much it is in relation to whiskas et al..

~Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page