Reggie - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Reggie

I was not sure where to post this but I need the forums help.

As some of you know my cat Reggie who turned 17 in January has been very ill. He has a heart condition (heart rate very high), an overactive thyroid and gasterol intestinal luekemkia. He has been very sick for about 5 years now. When he was first diagnosed the vet recommended putting him down so he would not suffer. He has actually been very comfortable and shows no signs of pain. He has visited the vet a month ago for a checkup and the vet says for his age and condition he is status quo.

Lately he is looking worse, losing his hair is areas on his body, moving very slowly, becoming very aggressive/aggitated with the kittens. He has become deaf and his eye site is not the best and he is never satisified after eating. He vomits frequently sometimes on himself where I have to clean him up afterwards. And now he has decided that he will pee where he wants. Sometimes in the litter box sometimes next to it.

So my question to all of you is this, when do I say he has had enough. I hate the thought of putting him down, but his quality of life has deteriated so much. I love him so much and hate the thought but it is so hard to see him this way. What makes it even harder is that somedays he just wants to sit and hang out with me or my husband. Other days he just sleeps, gets up and eats and then back to sleep.

Please help, I am not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Cat

I so feel for you. Holly passed on the 21st. We were on the way to the emergency vet for euthanasia and she passed on my lap half way there. I had hoped she could be home when she went but at least I was there with her. Only you cn make that decision. But from what you described it's probably his time. Try to find a vet that makes house calls, it might makeit just a little easier for all of you. I'm so very sorry.

"A cat's got her own opinion of human beings, she don't say much, but you can tell enough to make you anxious not to hear the whole of it"

Jerome K. Jerome
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Holly's Mom. The vet that he has been going to is pretty good, I will call them and see what they say. If not as long as I am there it will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Lexy I know how you feel about not letting them go but in all honestly, I would say it's time. I know it's hard but your cat will have a renewed life on the other side. My heart goes out to you. God bless.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Lexy, this is too hard for you to decide. I always tell the vet, "I want to give my ____ every chance for a comfortable life. Is that possible?" He will tell you, if he's ethical. When you see the sadness in the vet's eyes, you know it's time. May God bless you and guide you to the right decision.

I think it would be best to move this post to the Health Forum, even if it has to be returned here soon.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Lexy, this is too hard for you to decide. I always tell the vet, "I want to give my ____ every chance for a comfortable life. Is that possible?" He will tell you, if he's ethical. When you see the sadness in the vet's eyes, you know it's time. May God bless you and guide you to the right decision.

I think it would be best to move this post to the Health Forum, even if it has to be returned here soon.
I agree the Health forum is where I started to put the post.

Thanks everyone. The last time I saw the vet, he had the look like he will either go in time due to his heart or you will know when you look at him. He told me "I have known you many many years and I know how hard this is but he is very sick, he is stubburn (reggie that is) and at this moment he is not ready to go, but soon you will know what the right thing to do is"

After seeing him this morning, its time. I am calling the vet later this morning to see about taking him in tomorrow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with the vet today, they have also agreed that they feel that all has been done to make him comfortable and there is not much else they could do for him. Under the circumstances they feel that I am making the right choice.

I have an appointment at 1:40 pm tomorrow......this really sucks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:50 PM

Oh, I feel so bad for you.
I have lost a cat before and it is utterly souldestroying, I know how you feel. But I think there comes a point where if you love them, you have to let them go.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
When the time comes, you're welcome to post a tribute in The Rainbow Bridge Forum. I'm so sorry you're facing this. Just give him lots of love and anything he wants to eat.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page