Rocky will no longer eat her Wellness canned food. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Rocky will no longer eat her Wellness canned food.

A year ago I switched to Wellness canned (from Science Diet dry) and feeding dry Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul if we went away. She loved the Wellness esp turkey and then the salmon. One day a couple of weeks ago she just turned her nose at it. She'll take a couple of bites and that is it. So unusual. I've wasted so many cans. Now she loves eating the dry Chicken Soup so that is what I've been feeding her. I just found it so odd. I will have to try other canned foods to see if I can find one she likes. She ate dry food for her first 14 years (turns 15 in April) and never had any health problems so maybe I'll stick to the Chicken Soup for awhile and then retry the Wellness. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Tom Cat

Did Wellness change any of the ingredients in its wet food? Cats are so sensitive to smell and taste, sometimes even a slight change can have an effect.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

That is what I was wondering. I had gone out and bought 20 cans and that seems to be when she stopped liking it. I dont have an old can to compare. I was wondering if any other cats were snubbing their Wellness? I suppose a batch could have been made differently but that is not good. I'll have to email Wellness and see if they have changed anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

I tried a can of Wellness for Rocky's lunch and she gobbled it up ! Go figure. All the cans I last bought have the same batch number on the bottom. Maybe it was just her - she wanted a change. Will be interesting to see if she is interested in it for supper. I will post later what the ingredients are. If no one else noticed their cats not liking it, it probably was just my cat.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Ingredients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
Could you possibly post the ingredient list from one of these new cans?
I have an old label, maybe we can see whether there is any difference and if there is, what it is.
Thanks Meowmie. The bottom of the turkey cans I bought says MW9 21:06 Best by 09Nov08 Ingredients:

Turkey, chicken liver, chicken, turkey broth, sweet potatoes, carrots, carrageenan, guar gum, flax seed, potassium chloride, alfalfa, cranberries, blueberries, yellow squash, yellow zucchini, garlic, dicalcium phosphate, taurine, choline chloride, Vitamin e,a,D-3 & B-12 supplements, beta carotene, thiamine monontrate, niacin supplement, iron sulfate, zinc oxide, calcium pantothenate, iron protenate (source of chelated iron), zinc protenate (source of chelated zinc), copper sulfate, manganous oxide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper protenate (source of chelated copper) biotin, manganese protenate (source of chelated manganese), calcium iodate, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, sodium selenite.

Hope that is correct. Very hard to read in such small print.

Please let me know if the ingredients look the same. Thank you !
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:16 AM
Cat Addict

When I was feeding wet food, I know that one of my girls would occasionally get picky and turn up her nose at foods she'd previously liked.

For a rescue, she sure was choosy! I figure she just got bored.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the information you procided and taking the time to do that. That is too bad they made the change. The ingredient sounds scary in the article. I looked on the Wellness site and for the turkey can they listed in the ingredients - vegetable gums instead of carrageenan gum. And in their ingredient descriptions they say about carrageenan gum - it is an extract from the red seaweed found in the North Atlantic coastal regions. It is usually used in canned pet foods to bind water to improve the appearance of the product.

I wonder if this is a common ingredient in alot of the canned cat foods? I will have to try and check that out. Or maybe if others have a different type of canned cat food they can please look and see if this is an ingredient in theirs also. Thank you.

Rocky did eat the turkey again last night.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Premier Cat

My cats had been on Wellness and loved it until they changed. Now they won't touch it! Although the company insists it doesn't make a difference! My only guess is that carrageenan is cheaper.
If you have the time you may want to call and let then know. Several people have had the same experience and maybe, if they get enough complaints... although, so far, they aren't fessing up.

Victoria
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:04 PM

I know Sash gets picky sometimes with his dry food, I know he's hungry but he will just look at the dish when I put some in there and then he will look at me, like mom I want something different! He will do it occasionally with canned food too. I think he likes variety, so I always offer a few different brands of dry and canned foods for him weekly.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I don't know what flavours you feed, but I had an issue with a can of wellness a few weeks back as well, it looked like it had rice in it!! I talked to our Wellness rep when she was in the store last, and she said they will be making changes to the formula of the 3 fish flavours (Sardine, Shrimp and Crab; Salmon and Trout; and Chicken and Lobster) and adding rice, so these flavours will no longer be grain free. She said it must have been a manufacturing "oops" on the part of that can... but isn't clear how that would have happened.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page