Moving three cats cross country... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Moving three cats cross country...

Hi there!,

I'm moving from CA to SC in May, and I'll be taking my three cats along. (of course!)

We decided to rent a van so we'd have a good amount of room in the back so we can use larger than normal carriers. (one cat per carrier.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them from stressing too much? I'm very worried about that, and I'm also worried about them stressing from being in a new home.

Two of the cats have been at my current home since they were tiny. The third is five years old (and still tiny, haha!) - but she has made the trip from SC to CA before. She is a well travelled kitty.

One thing I'm excited about is that they'll at least have more room in their new home! We're going from a one bedroom apartment to a three bedroom - and the new apartment has a large screened in porch so I can let them lounge around there. I'm really looking forward to it, and I hope that they'll be as happy as I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:24 PM

What part of SC are you moving to if you don't mind me asking?

It would be better to have the cats in the cab with you on this trip, even if you have to use smaller carriers. It will be dark and hot and VERY scary for them in the cargo area. I would also be concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning back there. You could get away with putting them in the cargo area if the truck has a door leading into it from the cab. You could pack the truck from the back and leave some space for the carriers to be placed in front of that little door so they can see into the cab. From inside the cab, put the carriers in that little space, facing you and leave that door open while driving so you can reassure them that everything is OK. I assume this is going to take at least a couple of days driving? If so, make sure your cats have collars on and there is a tag or ID tube with contact numbers in the place you are leaving and the place you are going to, if possible. If you have cell phones, then use that number too. When you have stopped for the night in a hotel room, do not let the cats out of the carriers until you have gotten everything in the room and you don't have to open the door again. Put the cats back into the carriers in the morning before opening the door, but after feeding them. It will help ease their tummies a bit if you take a couple gallons of water from the old place on the trip with you. Of course lots of people remember to bring food, but different water can upset their stomachs too. I didn't fool with disposable litter boxes that come with litter because it was different from what I was using, I just took the right sized cardboard box and lined it with a trash bag after I cut an entrance out of the side.

Now my husband is bugging me to get out the door and go to the post office, so I will be back in a bit if you have more questions. Can you tell I've done this a time or three?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 PM

I agree about keeping them in the cab. I would get harnesses and leashes for them (if you don't already have them) and belt them in the cab with you. They'll be crazy at first but they'll get used to it and settle down. I'd also take a few runs in your car before then and see how they are with driving period -- if there's any huge issues, talk to your vet about getting a sedative.

Also, about being in their new home -- close them in a room to explore while you're moving things in. Let them out when some familiar things are there (and when there's no more in and out of the door) and they shouldn't be too upset. We moved our kitties to our new apartment after a lot of the furniture was here and they didn't care at all -- somewhere new to explore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Oh, no no no!!! LOL - I'm not talking about a moving van! We're using a seperate moving company for our belongings.

We're renting a normal every day van from a car rental place to drive our kitties to SC. My car just isn't big enough for the size carriers I want to use for them.

Where in SC? Greenville!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:52 PM

I think they will be fine. You can let them get out of the carrier as long as they are calm. We moved with 4 cats from CA to TX and we let our "howler" out and he slept blissfully on top of his carrier. Cats are very adaptable. It will be an adventure!

we were on the road for three days! The cats did not use the litter box (even though one was provided) until the evenings in the hotel. then all of themn were waiting in line! It was a stinky hotel room to say the least.
Good luck.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy106
I think they will be fine. You can let them get out of the carrier as long as they are calm. We moved with 4 cats from CA to TX and we let our "howler" out and he slept blissfully on top of his carrier. Cats are very adaptable. It will be an adventure!

we were on the road for three days! The cats did not use the litter box (even though one was provided) until the evenings in the hotel. then all of themn were waiting in line! It was a stinky hotel room to say the least.
Good luck.
Yup, ours go crazy if they're in their holders...so we let them out and they sleep nicely on the back seat.

We also provide a litter box when traveling to North Carolina (9 hours) but I've only had it used once in the 4 trips I've made.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Cat Addict

My old boy was in his carrier for the drive from Minnesota to Ohio several years ago, and he did fine. Of course, he was sedated. I explained the matter to the vet, and she was more than happy to give a small prescription of Diazepam. All but knocked him out for twelve hours. The silence was practically blissful.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, no no no!!! LOL - I'm not talking about a moving van! We're using a seperate moving company for our belongings.
Oh. Ok. Hehe.

Quote:
Where in SC? Greenville!
Well! That is where I live! We shall have to get together for Thai food or something!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to smootchick
I moved from Kentucky to South Florida in 2 days so I'm familiar with this.

I called my vet and asked what to do. She gave me a prescription for some mild sedatives and said to fast them the night before the move so they wouldn't have to use the bathroom as much. I fed them each half a pill about a half-hour before getting in the car and they were drugged up by the time we left, barely able to walk actually. Broke my heart to see it but...

They slept pretty much the whole way down to the Florida state line, where I stopped for the night. It was a good 12 hours I'd say with stops and such. And they never left me any surprises. I bought a small litter box with some liners and let them out of their cages once we were in the hotel room. Everything went fine, I fed them and then fasted them again overnight, then repeated the pill process the next morning. It went without a hitch. I think it's less traumatic on them because they're so sleepy they don't realize what's going on.

P.S. They look really stoned when they're on the meds and their little meows are so faint and weak. I freaked but don't worry, they're OK, just high. LOL.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I made the van reservation - it's going to be a Ford Freestar - check out the room in the back!:

I dunno about sedating them... the idea of that kind of worries me a bit.

It's such a long ride that I don't think it'd be possible or even a good idea to sedate them for 3-4 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page