Irritated bumps on skin - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Amp

Irritated bumps on skin

I'm a new cat owner, so go ahead and assume I don't know anything. I really don't.

I know the very best thing I can do is take him to the vet, which will be happening later this week. I'm just hoping that I can get some more information from the rest of you in advance.

My cat has recently, in the last month or so, developed a series of small, fairly hard bumps all over his chest, about one-quarter to one-half the size of a penny. They also seem to be developing quite fast. There were two when I first noticed about two weeks ago. One week later there were 3, now he's got 5. I've been told "cat acne" is a possibility but they really don't seem zit-like.

He's calm enough when touching them, so I don't think they hurt all that much, but he does scratch them frequently. By now they bleed a bit, and ooze a clear liquid that smells bad, so I'm going to assume they've become infected.

Any suggestions on what they may be, or how I can make him more comfortable? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Could be acne, but that usually appears first on the chin, and isn't particularly itchy. I think you assumption there's an infection is correct. I suppose now it wouldn't hurt to just rinse the area in warm water. Or you could use a very mild solution of an anti-bacterial soap containing chlorhexadine (Hibiclens is one brand).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Amp

Thanks for the info, especailly the soap specifics. I'll definately try rinsing him in the morning.

The bumps definately came first though, before he started scratching. They were oozing slightly on their own but not bleeding, I think he started scratching them after they've appeared.

Can anyone think what might have triggered it? Could this be a standard allergic reaction to something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page