Help!!! Nail Clipping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Help!!! Nail Clipping

Hi all, i'm back again with another request. Can you give a sedative to a kitten to clip his nails. Is it legal and has anyone tried it please. I know the vet will probably clip his nails when my kitten is desexed next week, but I have been doing a little searching on the net and I also tried to to clip them myself with a proper clipper for pets, and man, did he go off!!! The noise he made scared me a little to even attempt to try it again - i would appreciate your comments please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Banned

You need to approach nail clipping very gradually. You're not going to be able to do it the first time. Or the second. Or the third......

Start with just getting the cat used to you touching and handling his paws. Do this during a petting session so it's pleasurable. Continue doing a little more each day until he's comfortable with it. Then start extending the nails while you're doing this. Finally you can introduce the clipper and just touch it to his paws so he knows it's not going to hurt. When he's comfortable with all this, then you can clip one or two nails. Only continue as long as he's not resisting. If you make it a good experience for him then he'll let you do it. Eventually you'll be able to clip all the nails at one time.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM

I sneak up...

I can't clip my cats claws when she is awake, but I sneak up on her when she is sleeping and do two or three till she wakes up and then I stop. She barely knows what happend. I've done this with 2 different cats and it seems to be the easiest way, though sometimes it takes a few days to get them all trimmed. The best way to get them "really" sleepy is to play with them till they want to sleep then let them sleep for 5 or ten min, then pounce!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Cat

I would take coaster's recommendation. I started trimming Dusty's nails like this when he was just a kitten. Before he was full grown, he would let me do them all (front AND back) in one sitting. The key is that he knows I'm not going to hurt him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page