Is this a good recipe? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Is this a good recipe?

I'm after a raw recipe, for my three cats... One that has everything in it, so I'm not missing out on something, and so I don't have to suppliment them, etc. I'm scared I'll miss something, and that my cats won't get everything they need..

Is this a good recipe?

3 cups raw or lightly cooked ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, or lamb)
1 cup raw or slightly cooked organ meat (kidney, liver, heart, lung)
1 raw turkey neck, ground or finely chopped (be sure not to cook)
1 cup well-cooked grain (oats, rice, barley or cornmeal)
½ cup well cooked vegetable (broccoli, zucchini, carrots, squash or green beans)
1 raw egg
1 teaspoon olive oil or flax seed oil
Directions
Mix all ingredients together, and then divide into individual portions.

The less you cook the ingredients, the more nutrional it will be for you cat. If you freeze the individual portions, they will keep for several weeks and you can defrost one a day. When thawing, try not to use the microwave or another cooking method, since this will reduce nutrient levels. Instead, let food thaw overnight in the refrigerator. To warm it, place the food in a plastic bags with zipper closure, then immerse the bag into hot (not boiling) water for 10 minutes.

The amount of food prepared with this recipe should last for about 5 days for a adult cat of normal size. Your cat may eat more or less at each meal; use common sense to decide on severing size. Because this mixture is slightly lower in calories than dry cat food, you will need to serve slightly more of it in comparison.

If not, could someone give me a great recipe? My cats need the change soon as their coat is dull, they're lazy, their teeth are horrible, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Unfortunatley I don't know how to tell you if this is adequate or not... Where did you find the recipe from?

My best reccomendation for finding an appropriate recipie for making your cats food at home is to do LOTS of research. There are several excellent books out there, many contain appropriate recipies. Also, if you have a veterinarian who understands the raw diet, you can turn to them for guidance. It may be benificial to find a homeopathic or holistic veterinarian in your area as well.

This is not something to be taken lightly at all, as I'm sure you know. I'm still uncomfortable making the food myself, so I purchase a pre-made frozen raw from a company that I trust. This works well for me and my kitties. Good luck!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I would add a supplement just in case.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 AM

I feed my cats raw since a few weeks. They don't eat any grains, and almost no vegetables.
More or less they eat:

50-60% musclemeat
15-20% organs
10-20% bones

organs: heart (provides taurine), liver (not too much, diarrhea), chicken stomach, kidneys,...
bones: ckicken necks, turkey necks, chicken legs, chicken wings,the back of a rabbit. These bones have already (muscle)meat on them.
musclemeat: chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, pigeon, rabbit,...
Different types of meat is better: variety!

Rabbit head is also very good, but I haven't tried it (yet)

I give them one egg a week, and sometimes some yoghurt. I don't give them fish, apparentely it's not that good for them (I can look it up for you why). Once a week I give them some vegetables, but it's not neccesary.

If your cats don't eat the bones, you can ground them. I have to do that for one cat. Or you can give some finely crushed egg shell. It's better for their teeth to give bones. NEVER cook the bones, very dangerous!

I began feeding them like this because one of my cats had diarrhea since I adopted him. And guess what: no diarrhea anymore .

Sometimes I give them a pre made raw food, but that's less and less.

Anyway, I'm a beginner, so I'm on a dutch forum, where they help me a lot!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 AM

www.rawmeatybones.com . This is the site of a Australian vet: Tom Lonsdale. He's an expert on feeding raw. He talks mostly about dogs, but most things go for cats too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:00 AM

I started to feed my cats raw food almost a year ago (I had a different second cat then, but that's another story). As I come from Germany, I am not terribly good with cups and ounces - so I'll just hope that you lot are better at converting European measures

The "starters recipe" here goes something like that:

For
1 kilogramm musclemeat (chicken, beef, or lamb) you add 1 crushed egg shell, 5 gr sea -or stonesalt, 2 gr taurine, 1 crushed A-Z vitamine pill, 50 gr grains or vegetables, water and a few drops of salmon oil. Also, it may be necessary to add fat, e.g. with chicken and lean beef.

Your average 4-5 kg cat will need 160 -200 gr of raw food per day, but it may be wise to feed him some -high quality- canned food as well. I use Felidae, dry and canned food, but I ultimately aim to abolish the dry food all together.

Catlin
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:22 AM

Abernathy's recipe

Hello Lady ,

will your cats tolerate raw meat? Try to reduce the cooking time with each preparation.
Liver shouldn't amount to more than 1 ice-cube (20 gr) per week, because it contains a lot of vitamine A. Egg-yolks also have a lot of vitamine A, so I would say your recipe is a little heavy on that side. Olive oil isn't so bad as a fat supplement, but you could do with a few drops of salmon-oil for vitamine E as well.

On the other hand, you're definately short of taurine which is contained in raw muscle-meat, exspecially heart, but not in any sufficient amount to satisfy the needs of your cat. I definately feel that you should at least add taurine to your recipe.

As for the bones, please remember that they shouldn't exceed 30% of your weekly plan. Also, bones can cause very hard stools, especially in the beginning, so it may be a good alternative to crush an eggshell and use the required amount as calcium supplement.

Hope I could answer some of your questions.

Catlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page