LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Okay - how's this for feeding?

I am on a limited college-student budget. Here's what I have come up with:

Dry food - available 24/7
mix Nutro Max 3lb with Chicken Soup 2lb

Wet food - 1.5 tbsp 2x daily
Friskies

I know the wet food isn't the best, but is it okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and would Whiskas be a better canned option?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Kitten

Actually this is kind of what I do with my cats as well (can't afford to feed them a super premium diet, so I do what I can). With dry food: I mix 2 parts of a cheaper food (like Whiskas) with 1 part of a higher quality food (usually Nutro but I might try Blue Buffalo in the near future). And give them canned a few times a week.

I think Friskies has better canned food than Whiskas. At least some of the canned Friskies formulas have a specific meat as the #1 ingredient. Whiskas first ingredient in their canned foods is usually Water. But check the labels. I feed the canned Friskies formula called "Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Dinner", I'm pretty sure that's what it's called....but it has Ocean Whitefish as the #1 ingredient. Again, check the labels though because a lot of Friskies formulas also have water as the first ingredient.

-Audrey-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 02:35 PM

As far as I know, Nutro is a medium to good quality dry food but vastly too expensive (in Germany). You may want to try Felidae dry food, which is better quality than Nutro and (in Germany) not as expensive.

As for the canned food, it may be a good idea to make sure that it has no sugar or caramel added ... apart from that, go for the highest amount of meat you can afford in your budget. In Germany, Whiskas and most of the others brand names actually have about 4 % of meat contained in their cans.
Anyway, you could try and offer your cat 20 % of his feed in raw meat - this is usually not more expensive than Whiskas and does a whole lot of good.

Best regards
Catlin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:48 PM

Save even more money and give them just canned food. You could either stick with the brands you're getting already, or if you have enough without buying dry food to get a higher quality canned food, do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page