Letting my kitten 'go hungry' - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Letting my kitten 'go hungry'

Hey everyone, I recently adopted a 10 week old kitten who is adjusting very nicely to his new home The only issue I am having with him is that he will not touch wet food. I've tried a variety of different kitten formulas, canned and pouched. I've also tried raw, which is what I ultimately want his diet to consist of. Every time I give him wet food, he just sniffs it or takes a lick or two, and backs off. He actually ate a bit of the raw when I first gave him that, but hasn't touched it since. I've tried mixing a little of the wet in with dry food, but he won't go for it. He will eat dry food by itself, although not very much of it.

He had a visit with the vet yesterday, who said to keep him on canned food and that it's ok if he doesn't eat a lot. He's so skinny though! He weighs 3.5 lbs., which the vet said was fine for his age, but I can feel his bones! For that reason, I feel horrible letting him 'go hungry' until each feeding time comes around, hoping that he will settle for wet food. I don't know what to do. I definitely don't want him on a dry only diet, but he's not responding to any of the switch tactics. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

How long have you had him?

Personally I would keep him on dry food until he is completly settled.
If he is already (he sounds like a chilled out guy ) then I would ass very small emounts of wet to the dry, and over a couple of weeks add a little more.

I have 1 cat who would rather go hungry than eat wet food aswell.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
Quote:
Please, please, please, don't do that. Kittens need to grow, they are using up a lot of energy, they need ALL the food they can eat throughout the day in order to stay healthy. Under NO circumstances try to limit his food intake by timed feedings. Not now.
Couldn't agree more - this is an essential time in his development, please don't deprive him of the nurishment he needs.

You might want to try supplementing his diet with some kitten milk formula. When Willow had her kittens I had an awful job getting them onto any kind of food - one of them (Toby - who is now the size of a house!) didn't wean completely until he was around 12-13 weeks. I tried everything going and it didn't work, just like you. He seemed to like dried food soaked in the milk formula and then bits of wet food on top of his biscuits and it went from there.

I know it's tough, a bit like having a kiddy who won't eat their veg! but you really can't deprive him in the meantime.

Good luck, hope little fella starts munching soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the replies. I've had him for about a week now. I'm going to put the wet/raw food on hold for awhile and stick to dry. I want him to get some meat on those bones! I'm feeding him Natural Choice Kitten, which he seems to like. If anyone has suggestions for a better quality dry food, I would appreciate it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Cat Addict

I feed my kitten natural choice. Well, he is 9 months old now and the vet has put him on adult food because he is so big, being on kitten food. He is 13 pounds and still growing! Nutro natural choice is a good food. Maybe not the best, but my guy has done great on it. I agree with the others, let him eat! My guy doesn't like wet food, so he gets dry. BUT...he does drink lots of water. Everytime the sink is turned on, with breakfast and dinner. His water bowl is always empty when I get home from work. Have fun with yur little one and worry about wet food after he gets settled in and gets older.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Premier Cat

I third Meowmie and Stephie.
If/when you try wet again you may want to add a little human, meat (not ham or pork) baby food to it. I haven't come across a cat yet who would pass it up and it may get him jump started on wet.
Good luck!

Victoria
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone He has been chowing down on the Natural Choice, so I'm very relieved. Thanks for the suggestion Nanook, I'm going to try again with the wet food eventually, Ill definitely try that and let you know how it goes. Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM

I feed my cats (one 5mos and the other 1 year and 3mos) a mixture of canned and dry food.

I feed free choice about 1/2 to 1/3 cup of food a day (I put it out in the morning) and then they share 1/2 of a 5oz can at night. If the kitten is hungry or has had a "big eating" day I leave an extra 1/4 of food out for him (them) at nite too.

When I started feeding canned food, I had to convince my cats that they like it. They would turn their noses up at it. I have to admit I did the “let the kitten go hungry trick.” My cats were never without food for more then a few hours but each time they’d go to their bowl I would only offer them canned . . . I wasted a lot of can food and sometimes the cats won the “stand-off” and I broke down and gave them a little dry food but over the course of several days persistence paid off. They now eat both can and dry food. In fact, I think they look forward to the wet food each night. There are some good sites on “how to get your kitty to eat canned food.” Just Google the topic, that’s what I did and I followed the advice and it worked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page