wood shavings okay as bedding? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

wood shavings okay as bedding?

Hello

Is wood shavings okay as bedding for an outdoor cat house? Even tho the shavings stick to the cats fur a bit?

ALSO can someone please tell me the easiest way to de worm a cat without getting bitten? I am not comfortable forcing a pill down some cats throats specially when i do not know them!

THanks I hope someone responds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Cool Cat

Wood shavings probally are a choking/intestinal hazard and I think you should pick something else like a used blanket that can be thrown out or washed.

I'm not sure about the worming, probally best to have a Vet do that, do you have one that can do house calls?

The over-the-counter wormer is dangerous to use too, maybe someone else can better explain that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe try putting the pill in food? I know some can sniff it out and will just eat the food, but I saw something the other day at the pet store, they are called pill pockets. You can put a pill inside the treats and hopefully they will eat it. Didn't read the package, I don't have to worry about giving pills like you do. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

I suspect you're more worried about being bitten than the cat is likely to bite. As many cats as I've looked at in shelters and pried their mouths open to look at their teeth, not one has tried to bite me.

Here's a little tip I learned from my vet: get one of those syringes used for force-feeding and put some water in it. When you stick the pill on the back of the cat's tongue, close its mouth, lift its head to stretch out its neck, and then squirt a little water in the side of its mouth with the syringe. That forces the cat to swallow and the pill goes right down. Worked like a charm first time I tried it, and I'm not exactly nimble with my fingers, so I think it should work for the average klutz.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:46 PM

Hay makes excellent bedding for outside animals. It is warm and won't hold humidity, but if it does get wet, make sure to change immediately as it gets stinky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page