My poor kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

My poor kitty

Well I came home from class one night to find a cat sitting on my porch. He started meowing at me and jumped up on my lap (which is ridiculous since every other stray around here just runs away). The thing was so cute that I decided to keep him.

I took him into my house and took him to the vet a few days later. He came out clean for fleas, ring worm, Feline Leukemia, basically everything. The cat was perfectly fine besides a scratch on his ear and some ear mites. I was relieved. Turned out he was only 4 months old too. Another amazing thing is that I have not had to train him with his litter box, he has never had an accident anywhere in my house.

I got him a collar from pet smart, one of the synthetic kind with a tag. He had it on for a week or so when i realized it looked a little tight, so i decided to loosen it up for him. When i did I noticed the hair under the collar was rough, raw, and his hair was missing. This i'm assuming is either from it being too tight or an allergy to the material. It also looked like a big rough, raw patch of skin on the back of his neck right above the collar. Obviously at this point i took the collar off completely.

That was about a week ago, but the skin and hair are still the same. Rough, raw, spots of blood, missing hair. It doesn't look like it is healing. The other strange thing is that i've been noticing small spots pretty much all over his face and inside and outside his ears that look like small sores about the size of a normal pimple for a person. These would heal then i would notice more in other places.

Does anyone know what could be causing these or what's going on with the cat? Other than these spots he is completely happy and healthy. Generally i don't even see him scratch except for the big spot on the back of his neck.

Is this something that I should take him to the vet for? (this kitty is getting expensive between all the vac's and medicines). Will it go away on its own?

Any help is very much appreciated. This is my first cat since I moved out my own and I never noticed anything like this with my cats at home.

He is an indoor only cat by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:12 PM

I'd go to the vet. It almost sounds like mange, I'm not sure if cats get that though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 AM
Premier Cat

They do have a way of adopting us. Congratulations!
Unfortunately, it does sound like he should go to the vet. I'm assuming the collar was not a flea collar? It could be a few things, mange, ringworm, mites, flea, food or enviromnental allergies...you get the idea. All of them, other than the last two, are easily treated. I would guess that it isn't a food or environmental allergy 'cause he's so young and they usually turn up in slightly older cats. But if it is it might take quite a bit of investigating and patience to pinpoint.
Let us know how he does.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Premier Cat

My cat recently had similar spots on her face. There were little scabs and with small patches of fur missing around them.

The vet felt that it was some sort of allergic reaction, and they did clear up without treatment.

Do you notice that the cat is scratching alot or shaking his head? Either would indicate he is itchy and suggests allergies.

Just curious what you are feeding your cat? It may not be food-related, but it is always worth considering.

Given that there is a larger non-healing wound, I would say definitely go to the vet.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Just an update:

I took Jackson to the vet and the vet determined it was actually fungus that was causing the problem. When he scratched the big spot on the back of his neck he got some sort of fungus that was on his foot (more than likely from my basement) into the wound. He then continued to scratch other parts of his face and get the fungus there as well. This was very evident under a black light.

I almost wish it was mites since fungus is so hard to cure. My vet said it could clear up in a month or 6 months, it isn't definite. For now i have pills to give him twice a day, an ointment to put on the affected area twice a day, and some liquid medicine to give him once a day.

It's looking better even after one day with the medicine so i'm hoping it will clear up fairly quickly so my kitty can go back to normal.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 01:16 PM

Snickers had ringworm once. Which is actually a fungus, I just put anti-fungul cream from the drugstore on it and within a few weeks it was back to normal again. Just be carefull that you wash your hands really well after because some fungus can spread to people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page