Cat pulled out completely her nails - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Cat pulled out completely her nails

had my cat for 2 years now, since we adopted her she's been fine, very sociable and everything fine, she's about 2 years and half, and she's and indoor cat. A couple of days ago I found blood and fur on the computer table, I checked and it seemed that she accidentally had pulled back one of her nails. Later on I couldn't see her claws when she was stretching, I checked her back paws and she has no nails in her two middle fingers of each of her back paws, only raw flesh, so I guess that if it was 4 nails, 2 in each paw, she pulled them out herself?. I am very frustrated with this, I don't understand why she would do that to herself, obviously it was painful and now she's very sore; she usually chews her nails in the past, and I know that's O.K., but has someone else seen their cats pulling their nails out before? She's not bleeding anymore, but still it's very sore and gooie, I guess I will take her to the vet just in case of an infection.
Any suggestion of why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 09:59 PM

I had a cat once that would periodically “lose” her nails (or maybe she was ripping htem out - I'm really not usre). But I’d go to sit down on the couch and – OUCH get a nail suck in my behind! They always grew back.

I’m not sure why your cat would be “ripping” out their claws though. Perhaps it’s a stress related thing. I’d speak to your vet.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Premier Cat

I have a cat that has chewed his back nails down to stubs and has drawn blood. It was stress-related in our case. He hasn't done it lately, luckily.

I would have the vet check it out just to be sure that there's no other cause for the nail loss.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:28 PM

Additional discussion in this double thread here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page