Mucus discharge in cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Mucus discharge in cat

Hello!

Sorry, new here... Nothing like a problem to force you to meet new people.

I have a cat who is 1.5 years old, female. I came home to find some strange clear mucus discharge from her bottom. It's all over the bathroom floor. There are no other colors, no diarrhea. It literally looks like egg white everywhere, and has that kind of consistency. It is consistently being secreted. I checked around her bottom and I don't see any lesions or sores. It appears to be coming out directly.

She also, apparently, lost her breakfast. And she hasn't eaten tonight. I've offered her some warmish diluted chicken broth, not interested.

She has not had any change in diet lately. She weighs about 6lbs (has always been super tiny). The other day (Saturday) she caught a small black snake on the patio. It was a ringneck, and very small. That's the fist time she's caught anything like that. Last night she seemed normal and ate well this morning.

I plan to take her to the veterinarian first thing tomorrow morning, but wondered whether this sounded like it needed emergency veterinarian attention.

Thank you,

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Cool Cat

Sounds like she is an outdoor cat and could of got into a number of things,

not sure what a ring neck snake is, but that could also have something to do with it,

could there be a nest of snakes' she's getting into?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

She's not really an outdoor cat... she's allowed on the patio (which is kind of like a courtyard, has live plants and soil and stuff). Since it has the soil sometimes other critters make their way onto the patio (like the mole and the snake), but usually the fids have access only to the occasional lizard.

A ring neck snake is a small harmless grass shanke. I called the vet this morning and they said maybe tapeworms from ingesting fleas... but she doesn't really have any fleas (being an indoor/patio cat). Anyway, appointment for 9:30am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Just a little update, so that this is in the archives here.

Spinksy has been in the cat hospital since Tuesday. They think she was possibly poisoned by the mole, or may have eaten something poisonous somehow.

She was severely dehydrated (blood concentration level was 52; normal is 33 or so). She's still not eating on her own, and they've had her on fluids since Tuesday morning. Her kidney and liver are inflamed, and she still has the mucousy/clear stool/discharge/secretions.

The viral tests returned negative. They have her on antibiotic injections. I think they basically said that they were doing stability treatment... just giving her fluids and food so that her body can fight the infection and inflammation.

Has anyone else experienced this? The doctors seemed to hope she'd be better by this afternoon, but nothing has changed. I guess I'm trying to figure out what kind of time frame we can expect... the vet seems kind of unsure/unclear (they hoped she'd be able to come home this afternoon).

Thoughts?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM

not sure what advice to give you but I hope everything turns out ok. you and your kitty are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page