Moving to Canada with three cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Moving to Canada with three cats

Hi,

We will be moving to Canada a month and a half from now and, of course, our cats are coming with us.

According to Canadian pet policy, "Dogs and cats from the United States that are three months old or older may be imported provided you submit a certificate signed and dated by a veterinarian for each pet. The certificate must show that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies within the last three years. In addition, the certificate has to identify the animal by breed, age, sex, coloring, and any distinguishing marks. Please note that we cannot accept an animal tag in place of a certificate" (qtd. from http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4 ... P193_11511)

In a week from now, all of my cats will be due for their yearly vaccinations, so, I will need to bring them to the vet anyway. I wonder if it is possible to vaccinate them against rabies during the same visit or should I wait some time (if yes, how long) before vaccinating against rabies?

If anyone has any other comments on moving with cats, they are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Premier Cat

I would try not to give the shots all at the same time if possible. It's really hard on their little systems. I think the health certificate is only good for one month so make sure you don't get it too early.
The only other things I can think of is how well do your cats travel generally? If they tend to be very stressed you may want to talk to the vet about getting some acepromazine (a sedative). Are you flying or driving? If flying have you cleared everything with the airline? Like types of carriers required, cabbin or cargo, and extra cost. If you're driving and they aren't used to it, you may want to take them on several short car trips first.
Good luck on the move!

Victoria
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
I would try not to give the shots all at the same time if possible. It's really hard on their little systems. I think the health certificate is only good for one month so make sure you don't get it too early.
The only other things I can think of is how well do your cats travel generally? If they tend to be very stressed you may want to talk to the vet about getting some acepromazine (a sedative). Are you flying or driving? If flying have you cleared everything with the airline? Like types of carriers required, cabbin or cargo, and extra cost. If you're driving and they aren't used to it, you may want to take them on several short car trips first.
Good luck on the move!
Thank you for your reply. We will be driving to Canada, and we have already bought one huge dog cage (metal) that would take all of our back seat but cats will be comfortable together (as they hate being separated) and there is enough place for a small litterbox (although I am not sure if they will use it on the way). We were taking them on short car trips before and they are fine with that as long as they are all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 AM

3-year rabies vaccine VS. 1-year rabies vaccine

This is something you might want to look into when speaking to your vet about rabies shots.

I live in Canada and my mom lives in Michigan. She is a truck driver and she crosses the border frequently. She has a dog (a Boxer named Daisy who travels with her in the truck). She was told that Canada does not recognize the 3-year rabies vaccine that is given in the USA – Apparently Canada only recognizes the 1-year vaccine against rabies. I know with my cats they get their booster and rabies shot each year (not every 3 years).

So I would talk to your vet and suggest getting the 1-year shot for rabies.

Cheers
HK
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Premier Cat

HK,
As far as I know the 3 yr and 1yr vaccine are the same. It's just that the latest studies have shown that it isn't necessary to give it every year. I'm pretty sure Canada recognizes the 3 yr protocol now. But it's quite recent (like within the past year).

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page