Toby is drinking lots - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Toby is drinking lots

Toby, my nine month old bengal boy has always liked his water but I have noticed over the last week that he is drinking a huge amount. I refilled his bowl this morning and he came bounding over and pretty much drank the whole thing without stopping. I had to fill it up and most of that has gone too. (I have two other cats who I am sure do drink from the bowls but I have never seen them. I have at least two bowls of water down at any one time)

He doesn't seem to be weeing any more than usual, appetite and mood is fine - in fact he appears very fit and healthy. I'm just concerned that there might be a reason - he goes for the water as if he has a serious thirst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:56 PM

Well the first thing that comes to mind for me is diabetes, but that's because I have a diabetic cat! However, it doesn't sound like diabetes with out the extra urination.
If this is an isolated incident, I wouldn't worry too much. If you notice its a trend, I'd look into it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
Stephie, what kind of diet is he eating? Dry? Wet? Mixed?
He is eating a mixed diet at the moment. He's still on a kitten diet of whiskas/felix kitten wet food and Hills Science Diet dried kitten food. I have been thinking about introducing some adult food to his mix as he is growing up but I have usually stuck with kitten food until about 12 months.

I haven't made any changes to his diet yet though - he has a good appetite and tends to prefer the dried food but I try and limit that. (he's a bit of a piggy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 08:46 PM

That is really interesting Meowmie. (I know I'm not responding to original poster... sorry!!)
I've heard many convincing arguments of why we should feed wet... enough so that since I've owned a cat I've fed primarily high quality wet. But this is one I hadn't heard but it makes a LOT of sense. I feed mainly wet and my two almost never drink water--Sheba especially and she never touches dry food. Doogie eats some whenever I give him some as a treat (he loves it) and he drinks some water--but not a very noticable amount. A while back it worried me that they weren't drinking--but Merrick (the food I feed) seems to have a high water content, plus they are both incredibly healthy--so I'm not really concerned. Now I can just say that they're acting natural--just how they evolved.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Meowmie - i'll start the three day regime you suggested and see how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page