New cat owner, have food questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

New cat owner, have food questions

I was just given 2 3yr old cats about 3 wks ago. They were both very shy during the first week or so hiding under furniture but they finally came around and now greet me whenever I walk in on them Their previous owner said they were on a steady diet of Purina Indoor Cat Chow dry and Sophisticat wet food for as long as she owned them so this is what I fed them for the first week and they really liked the food very much. However after much research I've decided I could probably do better for them. I'm fortunate enough to live by 4 different pet stores so I have access to many various brands of pet food. They've taking a liking to Wellness and California Natural canned food so far but don't seem too crazy about Felidae & Newman's Own canned or Newman's dry. Other brands I've seen on the shelf but yet to try are Innova, Merrick, Evolve and Nutro. Would it be ok to have 4 different brands of wet food in daily rotation? Would they appreciate the variety? Thanks for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned

I rotate wet food and I think it's an excellent idea. Some cats with sensitive stomachs don't tolerate food-switching well but I think you'd know about that by now if that's the case with yours. And anyway, I think the switching problems are mostly with dry food.

I really don't think cats give a hoot one way or the other about the variety. If anything, some cats would rather have the same thing day in and day out. But I think you're giving them better nutrition with variety, so maybe they'll appreciate how well you're taking care of them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 PM

Some cats do seem to like variety. Once when I put Spotty on a prescription diet which I no longer give him, he hated eating the same canned food over and over again and was always seeking out what Rosie was eating even though at first he seemed to like the food. On the other hand some cats are happy to stick with a particular texture of food and don't appreciate having it changed. The best thing to do is feed your cats what they like to eat and if you find they are rejecting a certain brand, if you bought for example 10 cans of a certain brand or flavor once your cat turns up his/ her nose at one, donate the other 9 cans to a shelter or put them in the donation bin at Petco for the Helen Woodward Organization. Once you learn your cat's likes and dislikes you'll know which foods to buy and what not to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:15 PM

Hey CatGuy,

I'm glad to see you are taking an interest in your cat's health! That's awesome that you have considered different, more holistic foods. I get excited about cat foods and I really enjoy hearing when people actually take the time to read labels and do some research!

All those brands you mentioned are great. Mine like Felidae and Natural Balance. I have feed them Innova and Inova Evo (no grains), but my kitten didn’t do well on it and they didn’t care for the Merrick stuff too much.

Have you tried Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover’s Soul?

Here are two links that might give you some more input
Top 10 Wet Foods: http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm
Top 10 Dry Foods: http://cats.about.com/cs/nutrition/tp/p ... atfood.htm

Are you feeding your cat a mixture of wet and dry? I change-up their wet food in flavors and brand but try to keep the dry the same. They seem to have an easier time taking on new wet food brands and flavour then they do when I change their dry food brand.

I currently feed Felidae or Nautral Balance wet and Felidea dry. Although I may change to Natural Balance dry because it’s easier to find.

Good luck!
HK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page