Cat recovering from fall - broken leg - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Cat recovering from fall - broken leg

My 5 year old Ragdoll Cat is about to have surgery on one of his hind legs after falling from my apartment balcony. He has a bad fracture that will need pins etc. The vet has advised me that he will need o be caged for 6 to 12 weeks after the operation so the bones can mend. Does this sound right? To me it seemed excessive, but I just want to do what is right for my cat.

Any advice is welcome

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Definitely have a more in-depth discussion with your vet as to what exactly he or she means by "caged". Obviously your cat will need to be confined until the bone mends to the point he can be fully mobile again, but does your vet mean "caged in something small so he can't move around much" or something that limits him less, like a baby's playpen? Some clearer instructions will have you feeling a lot less doubt!

Take the few weeks he is confined and make the balcony cat-proof too. A play area up off the ground and away from the typical cat dangers like cars, other animals and cat-hating people gives him a great place to enjoy being outside if he is protected from falling again.

Good luck with the surgery and welcome to Cat Lover's Heaven, aka The Cat Forum!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

yes, he did say it would be more like a childs play pen.

So this sounds ok?

I have already taken steps to cat-proof my balcony and consider myself very lucky that i still have a cat at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Premier Cat

My neighbour had the same thing happen (all too common ) to her cat last year and it was at least six weeks cage rest as well. So, yes, that sounds right.
I have a balcony that I enclosed with a fine 1/2" deer netting. It was much less expensive than regular screening and doesn't obstruct the view as much.
Hope he's better soon and doesn't try flying again!

Victoria
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

thank you!

yes, he is my baby and i will nurse him through it! I want to get an enclosure big enough for me to sleep in there with him!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Cat

When Holly was almost 15 she broke her leg and needed pins as well. Her ver wanted her confined to a small space like the bathroom for about ten days. After that she was free to move about with the exception of running or jumping. She healed up just fine and a month earlier than expected even though she was elderly. I'm sure vets like people doctors have varying opinions.

"A cat's got her own opinion of human beings, she don't say much, but you can tell enough to make you anxious not to hear the whole of it"

Jerome K. Jerome
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

i guess the point is, how do you stop a cat from running and jumping? I am sure I will weaken and let Max out of his cage to sit on my lap etc....but that would be supervised. Being a Ragdoll, he is not at all an active cat at the best of times......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page