Not eating Hill’s l/d - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Not eating Hill’s l/d

Our cat Nad was diagnosed with liver disease about 2 and a half years ago. Since then he has made a fairly remarkable improvement. However, now we are having a problem with him not eating his food. He was prescribed Hill’s l/d as his only food. It took him a while to get used to eating it, but eventually he did for over two years, but for some reason now he doesn’t seem to want to touch the stuff. We know he still has a healthy appetite because he is very aggressive at trying to eat the food of our other three cats and any table scrap that he can get his paws on. These events are rare, but one must always keep an eye on him.

My main question is, is there anything with the nutritional value of Hill’s l/d that taste good? Also, any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Cool Cat

Perhaps a trip to the vet is in order to check his bloodwork again?
And it is more important for a cat to eat something than the "right" food. I'm learning that with my Phoebe who has CRF.

Also you may want to contact the manufacturer - I know sometimes they make slight changes in the foods and the cats notice!

Check with your vet tho and see what they say. Good luck!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Nad was just at the vet on Saturday for his annual checkup and boosters. He's lost about 2 lbs since his last visit (about 6 months ago). So, he's scheduled for another visit for another blood check to see if there is anything going on that they can help with.

My wife decided to throw out the food he was refusing to eat, scrubbed out his dish, and opened the new bag he had in reserve. He did seem to devour that serving fresh from the bag. So, now we're not sure if he just had a bad batch of food or if he'll just get picky once he decides the new bag isn't good enough. Hopefully, it was just a bag gone wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Food does go stale after being open for some time. If you notice that it happens again, maybe buying a smaller bag will help? I usually reccomend to customers that they buy no more than they'll use in a month. This ensures that the food is always fresh and hasn't lost any nutritional value either.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Cool Cat

Take it back to PetSmart - they sell it there and will give you credit or replace it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 11:47 PM

Is your cat on any type of supplements? I ask because my dog was diagnosed with a bit of liver trouble, I say a bit because it's not full blown liver disease, but elevated enzymes. He'se 18! Anyway, my vet prescribed a couple of natural remedies that help support the liver. Ask your vet about this if he/she hasn't mentioned any. They supplemental supports do great for liver function. My dog is on Milk Thistle but, I'm not sure that is safe for cats so you'd have to find out from your vet.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Nad made it to his Dr. on Saturday. He had some blood drawn for testing and those results should be in Monday/Tuesday. The Dr. wanted to wait and see the test results before discussing supplements or putting him back on medication.

Nad had lost 1.1 lbs in the past two weeks; so, the vet was concerned about him. The Dr. suggested he start eating the X/D that our other cats eat (since Nad's been very interested in that). So, we brought him home and gave him the 'new' food and he's been scarfing it down ever since.

Oh, and PetSmart kind of sucks. I took the old food in there, but since Nad isn't on record at their clinic they wouldn't exchange it or give me credit for it. My vet did say he'd trade the bag out on our next trip over. So, we'll just do that instead.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:21 PM

Banfield is like that for a reason. You wouldn't believe how many people come into PetSmart and ask for prescription stuff like Hill's or Frontline. Animal prescriptions are regulated the same as people prescriptions and that is because the food and drugs not sold OTC are considered hazardous enough that a doctor needs to supervise their use. Would you be able to get your prescription refilled just by walking into the office of a doctor you've never seen before and asking for it without having the doctor examine you first? No.

PetSmart however WILL exchange any non-prescription food no matter where you bought it, be it Special Kitty from Wal-Mart or something that they do sell.

It's a good thing your wife threw away the food and got some fresh. I'm glad he started eating from the new bag. What with the Diamond pet food recall a while back, sudden refusal of a food your pet has been eating day in and day out can be a big ol' red flag!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I actually would have guessed that if you had a full bag of the food that they would have assumed you had gotten from some Dr. and done an even exchange for the stuff. (Are people really out to scam prescription foods?) But, I understand their take on it.

Since the company that makes it offers the 100% guarentee, I'm sure it's no problem for our vet to get his money back - it's would have just been easier to bug PetSmart on my time rather than wait until the next time I'm at the vet. But with 3 of my cats all eating the latest food, I'm sure it is just a matter of time before we're back for a refill.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:37 PM

People aren't really out to scam prescription food so much as not take their pets to the vet, even when they need it. I see it all the time at my job. I can't tell you how many times a week I have to tell someone we don't sell Frontline or Advantage and they say, 'The vet is so EXPENSIVE!'

I've even had waaaaay too many people come in the store with a sick or hurt animal and ask if we 'sell something cheap to fix this', and when I say take your pet to the vet, they say, 'The vet is so EXPENSIVE!'

There was even a lady who came in asking for pure vitamin K once...when I asked her why she wanted JUST vitamin K, she said 'My dog ate some rat poison a little while ago and I heard that's what they get when that happens.'
I told her she needs to get her dog to the vet NOW.

Guess what she said?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page